PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted!! Steering System Upgrade Time

2g72
08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey Fellas,

Finally got the house purchase and wedding behind me, now Im trying to get my '72 Camaro ready for some mild autocrossing whilst I continue my resto-mod efforts. A quick run down of suspension mods to date: stock subframe and control arms, Hotchkis front and rear springs, hotchkis f&r sway bars, polyurethane bushing all around (including body mount), koni reds keeping everything damped, and 17" TT2s wrapped in BFG G-Force KD rubber 245 fronts, 275 rears. (I actually have to redo my rims at some point, as I was young and inexperienced (still am) and think that the fronts could use a 1/4" more backspacing, but thats another story!)

As far as I can tell the little old lady for CA that had this car before me put all 345,000 of her miles on this steering box. So not only was it feather touch to begin with, now its downright jerky and inconsistent.

In looking around there are a few options it seems, going with the traditional power steering, the most popular vendor it seems is Lee Mfg. but I also know of the AGR units from Summit and DSE's unit. Anyone care to share their experience with any of the above units? It also appears that NAPA sells a rebuilt box that is 2.5-3 turns lock to lock...

From the Rack and Pinion angle, I have barely researched this, it looks like Flaming River is big name in that. Fabrication doesn't scare me at all, I can GMAW pretty decent and have a machine shop at my disposal plus being a design engineer during the day doesn't hurt either. I know thats generally one of the big concerns when considering a rank and pinion system. But I've also heard that there is some issues with long term reliability due to the way older suspension geometries were designed and the result of more load transmission into the steering system. Obviously, cost is going to be higher this route as well.

Just looking for opinions and perhaps experiences, thanks in advance.

--Chuck

TitoJones
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Chuck-

We have special boxes built for us by Lee that will feel exactly like a R&P without the cost.

The AGR and NAPA units do not have this valving and will feel much like the box you already have.

If you want a precision box for some serious driving, we have exactly what you want.

Tyler

Marcus SC&C
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
What he said. :twothumbs The Lee boxes are truly outstanding. Mark SC&C

formula
08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
from what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), flaming river offers a box with similar valving to the lee box...I've not experienced a lee box, so I can't tell you which one is better, but it might be worth researching.

nowukno
08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Go with the lee box,I just had him do my box and pump $500 and it feels out of this world,well worth it..

LowBuckX
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I put a revalved TC pump in my car with a stock box and it realy made a noticeable differance. The pump supervisor at work valved it for me.

ponchopwr70
08-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Lee box, got mine from Marc at SC&C