PDA

View Full Version : 4-link questions

badbrad900rr
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I am going to 4-link my 69 nova soon and have never done this before. I need to know everything to look for and do. What to measure, how to measere, where to measere, you name it I need to know it. I want to be knowledgable on the build before i start. Or maybe I shouldnt! You all tell me.

silver69camaro
08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
What kind of four link are we talking about?

badbrad900rr
08-23-2007, 08:24 PM
please elaborate. I am new to this. I am asuming a standard parallel 4-link.

Norm Peterson
08-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Let's first establish whether drag racing or cornering is more important here.

Norm

badbrad900rr
08-24-2007, 03:44 AM
Looking good and being low!

Norm Peterson
08-24-2007, 05:07 AM
So we're talking about a proposed modification that's almost entirely for appearance reasons?

silver69camaro
08-24-2007, 05:16 AM
So we're talking about a proposed modification that's almost entirely for appearance reasons?

I'm gonna stay outta this one...

badbrad900rr
08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
yeah, im just not into the look of the leaf spring. The ride should be much improved with a set of coilovers, correct? By the way, what kind of 4-link did you have in mind?

Norm Peterson
08-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Several distinct link arrangements are possible. If you're going to yank out the OE pieces, it's best to choose what you're going to replace them with based on the use the car will see (and a few other criteria like where and how much space is available and whether any floorpan cutting/reworking is acceptable).

Coilovers - or conventional coil springs as found on the A/B/G bodies - are somewhat more ride-friendly in that there isn't any interleaf friction to add NVH. But a good leaf spring doesn't have to ride like a 1955 pickup with extra load capacity.

That last item begs the question of where ride quality falls in the list of priorities vs any of the hardcore performance aspects.

Norm

badbrad900rr
08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
help me out. I want a good low stance, minimal cutting of the floor pan, and good handling. what do you recomend? I'm new to this so I'm open to your opinion and help. The ones that dont want to help and just type on someones post can just save their time.

MrQuick
08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
You'd be better off doing a search on the g-bar, air ride and maybe Heits. Opinions can be wide spread and you'd never get anything positive.

Norm Peterson
08-28-2007, 04:49 AM
At this point I can only narrow the choices down by eliminating the drag-racing 4-link arrangements from consideration (they neither handle nor ride very well, and I'm not hearing anything about available power or launch traction). Handling appears to be holding about 3rd priority, so choice of the basic suspension linkage arrangement might come down to what can be fit around the exhaust with the least difficulty. Appropriate tires on wide enough wheels will crutch even poor geometry well enough for 99+% of reasonably normal street driving for most folks.

Norm

astroracer
08-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Reading through your posts I can see that handling is not high on your proirities. You want it "low and looking good"...
Why cut the car up for that? Put on a set of lowering leaf springs (or simply have the originals de-arched) and a good set of shocks. It'll be low and it will still handle. If you want it lower a set of one or two inch blocks would get you there easily.
Not being into the "look of the leaf spring" has nothing to do with what you are after. The car will be low enough that anyone who wants to look will have to be on their hands and knees anyway...
You can achieve your goal without cutting up the car or breaking the bank...
Mark

badbrad900rr
08-28-2007, 06:39 PM
after my reaserch, and numerouse opinions, i have decided to go with the DSE Quadra Link, and a CA Fab 9 rear housing. Should all be ordered by Monday. Thanks for the help as I will post project updates!

67Steven
08-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Wow, that was a 180 from your 'looking good and being low' requirements! I like all the DSE items I have installed, so I am sure you won't be disappointed at all.