PDA

View Full Version : Got a new tool!

astroracer
01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I love my wife! This what she got me for our 27th wedding anniversary.
http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/whatsnew/cr_ct_cooltooldetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&Tool_Id=59
It's called a "Twin Cutter". It has two blades that revolve in opposite directions from each other and is supposed to cut through sheetmetal like butter with NO kickback...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I talked to a rep at Sears and he said it is freakin' amazing!
I'll fill you all in after I get some quality user time with it.
Mark

quadfather
01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
cool i saw an add somewhere for that . let us know how well it works. also how deep will it cut? wondering if it would cut 1 5/8 tubing.

astroracer
01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
cool i saw an add somewhere for that . let us know how well it works. also how deep will it cut? wondering if it would cut 1 5/8 tubing.

The blade is 6 1/8" in diameter so 1 5/8" tube shouldn't be a problem. I've got a bunch of 2" sq. tube I will use as a test. I'll be trying it out tomorrow nite so I'll let you know...
Mark

quadfather
01-03-2005, 04:38 PM

derekf
01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I had a 10% off coupon from Sears and was thinking about getting one of those... I've already used the coupon, but definitely let us know how well it works, perhaps I'll get another coupon (and perhaps I won't wait for a coupon)

airrj1
01-04-2005, 12:01 PM
...after I get some quality user time with it.
Mark

I'm sure that is exactly what your wife was looking for when she got you an anniversary present. A reason for you to spend more time in the shop. :woot:

Please let us know how it works. My anniversary is in July. I could ask for one also. :cool:

astroracer
01-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm sure that is exactly what your wife was looking for when she got you an anniversary present. A reason for you to spend more time in the shop. :woot:

Please let us know how it works. My anniversary is in July. I could ask for one also. :cool:

Well, I didn't get out to the shop tonight... Sat down and started paying bills and just got done... And airrj1... Yes, she does that. She has no problem with me being "out in the barn"... She tells people who ask that she knows where I am and what I'm doing and it keeps me off the streets and outta the bars so she is happy. She is VERY understanding!
Mark

skeevay
01-04-2005, 10:29 PM
I received one for Christmas and just tried it out for the first time today. Works great! I used it for some 1/4" plate...made some various length cuts, about 12" being the longest. And also cut some 1 1/2" 1/8" wall sq. tube. I didn't believe the claims of no heat buildup on the work piece, but it is true. The metal is barely warm to the touch right after cutting. Nice!

airrj1
01-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks Skeevay.

And Mark, I am in the same boat. Paula won't buy me any car parts, but I did get a Welder for Christmas last year. Very Cool.

Speed Raycer
01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
I received one for Xmas as well! Cuts like butter!!! It is a little cumbersome to see your cut line when cutting cage pads.

How often do you guys use the wax sticks? I've been giving it a little wax with every cut...

astroracer
01-08-2005, 10:40 AM
I FINALLY got some time to get out to the shop and try out my new cutter. As has been reported, it works GREAT! Very fast with clean cuts. I cut up some scrap 1 1/4" x .156 wall D.O.M. and it went through it like it wasn't even there. 8 to 10 seconds to cut all the way through. 11ga plate is the same thing. No effort on my or the cutters' part.
Very little heat transfer either. I picked up a short piece of the tubing right after I cut it and was able to hold it in my hand with no discomfort. It was a little warm but not hot enough to burn.
It does have some drawbacks though. It makes some very large chips which get into everything. Kinda like sandblasting but these are sharp and a "little warm" when they go down your shirt!
I don't think it will lend itself to "super accurate" cutting. It will work great for chunking out pieces like making a quick cut just to knock a bar down to a shorter length for easier handling or making straight cuts in plate with the sight line marked so you can use the guard as a guide.
It will work very well for cutting sheet metal. I think that is where mine will see a lot of use. Cutting out the rear floor boards, stock frame rails and crossmembers of the Astro will be very easy with this dude. As long as you can access the panel it will make some pretty clean cuts.
I am thinking I may pick up one of those cheapo "adapters" to convert a small angle grinder into a chop saw. I think putting this saw in one of those would make an excellant and accurate cut off saw.
Mark

David Pozzi
01-08-2005, 10:46 PM
How much metal width is removed in a cut?

astroracer
01-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Dave,
The blades measure 0.140 to 0.145" nominally. This makes a kerf a little over an 1/8th of an inch (0.125). Not to bad for the work that it saves...
Mark

CarlC
01-09-2005, 11:38 AM
The blades must be pretty thin!

I'm thinking that a trip to Sears is in the cards.

Rick Dorion
01-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Gp!

airrj1
05-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Well it's been 5 months now. Just checking to see if you guys have used your Twin Cutter much, and to see if you have any more comments.

Thanks.

Speed Raycer
05-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Still love mine, although I'm not using it near as much on my cages since I got my new RIGID metal chop saw.

I'm still a little leary of just going to town with it on DOM tubing. I just can't see how a little bit of wax at the beginning of the cut is going to save those blades ($$$$$)

astroracer
05-31-2005, 02:29 AM
I used mine yesterday to cut down a length of 2x4x1/8th wall tube to put on the chop saw. I have found it is better to do most of my cutting with this thing outside... Like I stated in my initial post, lots of good sized chips.
As far as using it on D.O.M. I don't hesitate. It goes through this stuff so fast the blade hardly gets warm. I'm going to try it out tonight on some miter cuts I need to make on the upper side rails for Bad Ast. The biggest issue with this saw is seeing the cut but If I jig it up and don't have to watch the kerf I think it will do a spectacular job...
Mark

airrj1
05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds good. Just wanted to see if it still well liked after a few months of work. I will be adding it to my want list.

race-rodz-inc
06-17-2005, 12:04 AM
so how long do the blades last on this bad boy? im a fan of 4 1/2" angle grinder with cut off wheels...super accurate, but the blades dont last but a minute at most. started with the $3 a piece wheels, switched to the 1.50ea wheels....finally resorted to the harbor frieght wheels.... 10 pk for $4. the more expensive wheels last about 5 miliseconds longer...so i cant see paying the extra money for them.

the only downfall i see to this would be the ability to make exact cuts... and i bet the blades arent cheap to replace.