PDA

View Full Version : no emergency brake

steemin
01-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I am looking at a 69 Camaro (Ford 9 inch rear end)that the rear drums were converted to a disc set up. I was told that the new disc set up did not have provisions for the emergency brake. The original emergency brake pedal is still there.
What are my options for correcting this problem? And how much will it cost?
Thanks,
Scott

derekf
01-03-2005, 07:19 AM
You could always find out what disc setup was used and see what e-brake was normally used with those, or there's a few pinion-mounted e-brakes available (not sure about for 9-inchers though).

Couldn't tell you about price though.

jeffandre
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Search Google for pinion mounted ebrake setups, FOrd 9's have it easiest with a bolt-on setup that comes with cable and handle. I beleive a Ford performance company sells the kit. I have the web sites saved to my favorites at work and can post them when I am there Tuesday night.

gmachinz
01-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Jeff, I can set you up with a pinion mounted kit. It includes a cable/bracket, rotor/caliper set and all mounting hardware. I would need some specs first, though. Shoot me an email and I can get you a quote. [email protected] -Jabin

jeffandre
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Jeff, I can set you up with a pinion mounted kit. It includes a cable/bracket, rotor/caliper set and all mounting hardware. I would need some specs first, though. Shoot me an email and I can get you a quote. [email protected] -Jabin

Jabin,
I have a pinion-mounted ebrake already, still need to setup the cable, which will have to wait until I get closer to figuring out what console I will go with. I will email you soon anyway as I have a few fab questions. Thanks,

Steve1968LS2
01-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Search Google for pinion mounted ebrake setups, FOrd 9's have it easiest with a bolt-on setup that comes with cable and handle. I beleive a Ford performance company sells the kit. I have the web sites saved to my favorites at work and can post them when I am there Tuesday night.

Since I run C-clip eliminators this is what I plan on doing when I convert to manual trans eventually. :)

MarkM66
01-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Doesn't Wilwood make an small manually operated caliper that acts as an emergency brake? It would need a caliper braket, and clamp to the rotor, just as your main caliper would. It seems as if I remember one being made, but can't find anything about it now.

TUBED
01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Scott check out TSM MFG they've got the pinion mounted parking brake setups their website is tsmmfg.com or give them a call at (303) 688-6882 and ask for Skip they should be able to fix you up, also they're located in Castle Rock, CO

steemin
01-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies and info.
Scott

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Scott check out TSM MFG they've got the pinion mounted parking brake setups their website is tsmmfg.com or give them a call at (303) 688-6882 and ask for Skip they should be able to fix you up, also they're located in Castle Rock, CO

I have one of their setups on my 67 Firebird. But, it's not a pinion mounted system. The kit used Cadillac Seville calipers with parking brakes built in to them. They are cheap and easy to get from a parts store. They are the same size as the single piston front calipers used in the late 60's/early 70's. You can reuse most of the original cables.

What I plan to do is check on the length of the original cables on both cars. Pick the ones for the Seville rears that are close to the same size of my original cables for my rear drum setup. Seville rear cables were different sizes for left and right. If I remember correctly the left side was about 1/2 inch difference from my stock cables. ONce I pick the cables for the rear I'l have a custom mid cable made to allow for the difference in lengths of the rear cables. I have talked to a few guys who use this setup and are happy with it.

I also will be using the hydro-boost and master cylinder that goes with the Seville/Eldorado brakes. I also found an Eldorado combination valve to adjust the line pressures. This should be an easy swap since all four of my calipers are the same size as the Eldorado/Seville calipers.

Ricoch3T
01-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Doesn't Wilwood make an small manually operated caliper that acts as an emergency brake? It would need a caliper braket, and clamp to the rotor, just as your main caliper would. It seems as if I remember one being made, but can't find anything about it now.

I remember one as well but hadn't been able to find info about it after that one time. Wish I had bookmarked it. Seemed like it was a pretty simple setup.

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-18-2005, 08:23 PM
I remember one as well but hadn't been able to find info about it after that one time. Wish I had bookmarked it. Seemed like it was a pretty simple setup.

Here is a limk to TSM ...

http://www.tsmmfg.com/

Ricoch3T
01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
http://www.tsmmfg.com/7211.htm
thats about what i was looking at before, but I could have sworn wilwood made it

Ricoch3T
01-19-2005, 02:25 PM
http://www.tsmmfg.com/7211.htm
thats about what i was looking at before, but I could have sworn wilwood made it

I guess I should have said thats like what i was looking at before, but I could have sworn it was made by wilwood.

GRider68
02-18-2005, 06:01 AM
I found this on another site. I'm not sure if this is kinda what you guys are looking for.

FOR SALE: Emergency (Hand) Brake calipers. Made from Billet Aluminum and anodized. Replacement Brake pads available form any race car supplier. Easy adjustment for different disk widths, Up to 30mm. 6 different angle adjustments for cable operation Solid mounting system. Simple adjustments for pad wear. Captured components so parts cannot be lost. Stainless steel components. Contact Robert at: [email protected]