PDA

View Full Version : Best Suspension mock up practice?!

68RS350
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Im looking into putting C5 suspension in my 68 camaro. I was wondering how you guys or best practice to mock up the stock geometry of a car? Ive seen mouting the hubs to a stand to get the right height and what not but what is the best to mock up the arm locations? I have access to a C5 vette so I can get the measurements do they just make brackets for the control arms? I understand taht the track widths are different and wheels back but im trying to determine how to mock the arms so they are the same measurements as a stock C5. Thanks in advance

wiedemab
08-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Just an option, but you could buy the bare subframe from Art Morrsion and use all of the parts from the C5 Vette that you already have.

http://www.artmorrison.com/inventory/EEZkyVEypuKtutTEpX.php

68RS350
08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
I saw that but im also going to put the C5 IRS in the rear since I have all of that too.

silver69camaro
08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
FWIW, you can't just mock up the suspension with factory measurements, then simply narrow it to fit your vehicle. It can get complicated. So even if you got the angle of the control arms like the OEM geometry, it still may not be optimal. The camber curve would be OK, but steering geometry would be pretty messed up.

Now I may be jumping the gun here, but you may want to get a copy of RCVD and purchase WinGEO (or Suspension Analyzer) and go that route. Planning at this stage is key.

6'9"Witha69
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, don't rely on *Corvette* geometry to be right for your car. Analyze the way the parts need to be configured for optimal handling on *your* car.

JMarsa
08-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Not sure your desired results with the car (not enough details provided) and I agree that a cut and paste may not be the highly optimized-over the top-I've got the best set-up out there solution but I'm willing to bet it will be better than what your car left the assembly line with.

--JMarsa

68RS350
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I just bought the RCVD book. Thanks for the insight, I knew that the steering would need to be adjusted. Are there any other Suspension Analysis Programs worth lookin at? Thanks in advance

silver69camaro
08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Are there any other Suspension Analysis Programs worth lookin at? Thanks in advance

WinGEO is my favorite.

68RS350
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
So say I were to use the C5 components. Do I dump all of there measurements into this program, my wheel base, track width and all that stuff and then determine stuff from there? I know you just dont type that in and boom you get the right set up. Does this have generic setups or what?

JMarsa
08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I think that the Suspension Analyzer program has a C5 file built in.

--JMarsa

silver69camaro
08-17-2007, 05:02 AM
Right, you need to be able to properly interpret the output values. You'll get tons of info like steer change, caster change, FVSA, SVSA, roll center, jacking forces, etc etc. That's where RCVD and actual seat time come into play. All those goofy numbers have absolutely no meaning if you don't know what to do with them.

Another method that can work, but is often shooting blind, is comparing your values to a known good setup. Aim for similar amounts of toe change (and the direction of the change is key), camber gain, blah blah...and adjust it for what you vehicle *might* need. If this is the route you go, you should make everything adjustable because you'll probably need to play with it later.

If this is just a street cruiser, copy the C5 geometry and just make sure the steering is correct.

68RS350
08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Awesome, This will be just a street cruiser. I know you guys moved your upper control arm on your subframe. Besides figuring out the steering is that anything majorly wrong with upper placement of the arm?

silver69camaro
08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Awesome, This will be just a street cruiser. I know you guys moved your upper control arm on your subframe. Besides figuring out the steering is that anything majorly wrong with upper placement of the arm?

No, there nothing really wrong it the OEM placement. OEM geometry is quite good, really. I just knew I could make it better for it's intended purpose.

68RS350
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey, man thanks for the help. I might be pm'n you with any questions I have. I might need some help w/ coilover mounting. I just need some insight im nto asking for the magic combo that you guys spent the R&D just need the general direction and understanding. Im gettin ready to graduate College as an Engineer so i understand most of it just need to be pointed in the right direction.