PDA

View Full Version : The Vegamatic Do I Dare?!

Chevrolaine
08-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I recently aquired this 76 Vega wagon in a trade for an engine. Considering they came from the factory with rust, this one is virtually rust-free.
I have a good running 400 small block, an extra set of 17" ROH Snypers, tons of space and tools, the know how, and the time this winter, Hmmmmm............:hmm:

CRCRFT78
08-16-2007, 09:40 AM
GO FOR IT!! I love those little cars. Its too bad they rusted out before they left the dealership.

6'9"Witha69
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
The first thing I think of looking at it, a Mid-rear engine wheelie car!! Something that can run the 1/4 and pass the big end with the wheels in the air!

slowcamaro
08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
I think you're at least obligated to throw the wheels on it and let us have another look.

67supersnake
08-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I think you're at least obligated to throw the wheels on it and let us have another look.

+1 Gotta at least show us the car

jon72vega
08-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't wanna get into any problems for offering up another site, but check this one out that's dedicated to the Chevy Vega , Monza , & their derivatives :

http://forums.h-body.org/

The guys on the h-body site are a friendly, helpful & knowledgeable bunch.

Chevrolaine
08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
+1 Gotta at least show us the car

What? You don't like it's current state! I suppose I could do a mock up of the wheels under it.

WS6
08-17-2007, 05:51 AM
I think it could turn out to be pretty cool. If they really do rust that badly though, I think I would spend a lot of time to prevent that first.

andrewb70
08-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Turbo Ecotec

Andrew

tomspo04
08-17-2007, 07:39 AM
What a nasty PT ride that would make! LS2/TKO, MAN!!!!! 17's or 18's...DO IT!

tomspo04
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Even a Chevy 4.3/turbo setup to make room for a T56...

novanutcase
08-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Turbo Ecotec

Andrew

THAT would be SICK!!!!!:naughty:

John

Rubes
08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah...DO IT!!! I love those things. I would love to have one as a DD.

79_GBody
08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Not mines but this should be a little motivation and maybe pursuade a few other members.
http://www.lsxvega.com/images/71_GT/index.html

Chevrolaine
08-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Not mines but this should be a little motivation and maybe pursuade a few other members.
http://www.lsxvega.com/images/71_GT/index.html

Now that is one bada$$ ride!!

MonzaRacer
08-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I recently aquired this 76 Vega wagon in a trade for an engine. Considering they came from the factory with rust, this one is virtually rust-free.
I have a good running 400 small block, an extra set of 17" ROH Snypers, tons of space and tools, the know how, and the time this winter, Hmmmmm............:hmm:
Ok join the H body club man.
I am working on my 77 Monza SOOOOO if you need any good ideas and some tips pm or email me at [email protected].
There is a brake upgrade to get 5 lug and make it so you can install big brakes.
www.v8monza.com (http://www.v8monza.com) is also another good site.
Get the V8 motor plates to bolt the v8 in and Bob had true replaceable motor mounts and the adapters for installing larger brakes.
I am sending an upper controlarm to Mark at SC&C to have some good ones made.
If it wears vented rotors stock we can up grade.
With the adapters scrounge up a set of 98-up s10 Blazer 2wd spindles then you can upgrade with adapter plates, I can dig up the website so you can get a hold of the guy who makes them, and then upgrade to brakes in the Corvette range.
I'll dig out my CD I have saved all the parts, prices, places and such on my project. I know its here somewhere.
Anyway for a interim up grade you can simply use first gen S10 spindles and Raybestos BruteStop pads, very nice base combo.
On the fronts your only going to get around a 17x7 maybe 17x7.5 and a 20540 or a 215 45 maybe a 205 45 in front but for the back with finesse you may beable to get some descent rubber in it.
also if the lower control arms mounts measure out right(I gotta go find my notes) you can slide a S10 2wd or 4 wd rearend under it pretty easy.
i am working on the parts to install a bolt in 3 or 4 link for an Hbody with or without Air Ride.
I should have the measurements and a part number for Air ride Technologies ShockWaves here real soon.
The rear suspension will be fairly simple and I have had to scrap one prototype as it was more cutting than I wanted.
Now unless your going to cut the crap out of it so be it but if you want bolt ons and stuff that will work keep in touch.here is a pic of my yellow 77 and my new blue project.
anyway good luck and keep in touch and if you want to actually talk to me on the phone pm me and i give you my home number.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

MonzaRacer
08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
FORGOT PICS:bananna2:

Kenova
08-18-2007, 06:02 PM
If I lived closer, I'd offer to take it off of your hands.
The '75 and newer Vegas faired much better when it came to rust. I have a '77 that only has a small rust spot on the driver's door. I'm quite sure most of the paint is original. The original engine in mine was sleeved only as a precaution, and the auto tranny works as intended (but it sucks anyways:barf: ).
Can you post some pics of your interior and engine?

Ken

Chevrolaine
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Kenova, I'll get those pics up tommorow. Actually this one only has 1 rust spot on it about the size of my fist. Lots of little dings and dents though. No biggie.

Monzaracer, Sounds like your into these H-bodies as bad as I was when I was younger! This is my 6th Vega! The last one was in 86. I've also had 2 V8 Monzas in my early years.
I registered yesterday on H-Body.org as Vegamatic, I'll be talkin to ya there, I'm sure.

I'm just finishing up my 92 Camaro and bought a 72 Camaro "driver" a couple of weeks ago so my project plate is quite full. The vegamatic will just be for those dull, slow winter days when I want to work on something different.