PDA

View Full Version : Smoothed Firewall Kit?

65chevelle''ss''
08-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Does anyone make a smoothed firewall for a '65 Chevelle? I think I'd rather replace the whole thing instead or doing what we did which was weld a bunch of metal patch panels... What have you guys done?

65chevelleboys
08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
i think there is company in los angeles i will try to get name for u.they built a65 wagon last year on tv .chop cut rebuild.on speed channel

65chevelleboys
08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
dp classic chevy in california.i think they still make them

65chevelle''ss''
08-15-2007, 06:51 AM
dp classic chevy in california.i think they still make them

Do they have a webpage? I searched google and came up with nothing for DP Classic.

65chevelle''ss''
08-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks by the way!!!!!!

65chevelleboys
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
dpchevy.com

65chevelleboys
08-15-2007, 01:40 PM
let me know what thay say.i might go the same way.thay built a car on speed channel 65 2dr wagon hawaiian them.

65chevelle''ss''
08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
dpchevy.com

Thanks!!! I will let you know what they say...

65chevelle''ss''
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Just got off the phone with them.... They said it was a "one off" piece made just for that wagon and they do not offer it as a sale item. Running out of ideas... I will just have to make the stock firewall work I guess, not the end of the world :)

Lance-W
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
It's really not that hard to make a panel out of 18ga and weld it on yourself. I've also snoothed the factory firewall. There a bunch of dimples to fill though

65chevelle''ss''
08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
It's really not that hard to make a panel out of 18ga and weld it on yourself. I've also snoothed the factory firewall. There a bunch of dimples to fill though

That's what I'm considering doing myself also... Really, it can't be that hard, right? 18 ga you say? ...good to know

65chevelleboys
08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
post pics when u do smooth it out.lots of pics

Sparky67
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
On my 1967 Camaro, we used 16 gauge. There is 2 pieces of metal. Although, you could apply the same technique for a chevelle firewall. You need to drill for the fender bolts. I believe the first photo of the firewall started around here http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro/main/67_camaro_rs
The starting image is 5.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

65chevelle''ss''
08-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Looks killer Sparky.... I'm gonna do it. I like the idea of having one or two big panels rather then 4 or 5 smaller "patch" panels...

Hmmm another project

41565 chevelle
08-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey fellas...I am here in So. Cal and am doing 65 as well. I am going to make my own firewall but there is a guy here, in Westminster that makes exactly what you are looking for. He is the guy who "hosted" the build of the Mother's chevelle "PRO PANE" seen at the Power Tour this year. The guys name is Paul Gonazalez and he has a web site... think it is www.pgcc.com or try this..Paul Gonzalez Custom Cars

14582 Goldenwest St
Westminster, CA 92683 Map

(714) 891-2201
I know he has a site, he has told me several times...
The guy is super expensive and is slow. I have seen the firewall kit, it is nice. It is all cut on a water jet I think, ends up real clean. Stay away from DP...unless you got a deep pocket book and want to wait for whatever you are trying to get.... Good luck!

65chevelle''ss''
08-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey fellas...I am here in So. Cal and am doing 65 as well. I am going to make my own firewall but there is a guy here, in Westminster that makes exactly what you are looking for. He is the guy who "hosted" the build of the Mother's chevelle "PRO PANE" seen at the Power Tour this year. The guys name is Paul Gonazalez and he has a web site... think it is www.pgcc.com (http://www.pgcc.com) or try this..Paul Gonzalez Custom Cars

14582 Goldenwest St
Westminster, CA 92683 Map

(714) 891-2201
I know he has a site, he has told me several times...
The guy is super expensive and is slow. I have seen the firewall kit, it is nice. It is all cut on a water jet I think, ends up real clean. Stay away from DP...unless you got a deep pocket book and want to wait for whatever you are trying to get.... Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Tell us about your ride. Where you at on your build? Pics!!!!!

41565 chevelle
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
got the web site... www.pgcustomcars.com sorry for the delay. As for my build, body is on the rotissrie, rolling chassis is done on frame dolly and working on the inner/outer rockers, floor supports, floors and of course trunk and quarters.....other then that, just crusin'

badbrad900rr
08-19-2007, 03:04 PM
are you going to do the entire firewall or do you want to put a fill plate where the heater box would be? I made a fill plate for my nova and i have access to a 65 chevelle so if you cant find one and wanted me to make you one let me know. I will post a picture of the one i made.
BRAD

Sparky67
08-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Looks killer Sparky.... I'm gonna do it. I like the idea of having one or two big panels rather then 4 or 5 smaller "patch" panels...

Hmmm another project

Yes, I liked it. I have about $10 in the 16 gauge sheetmetal from a local scrap yard. I wanted it to be flat and smooth. I didn't like the patch fill panel that DSE was selling, because you can see the seams. The fuse box is also going to be hidden from view. I wouldn't spend alot of money on a custom firewall kit, because that money can put to better use on another part of the car.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

65chevelle''ss''
08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
got the web site... www.pgcustomcars.com (http://www.pgcustomcars.com) sorry for the delay. As for my build, body is on the rotissrie, rolling chassis is done on frame dolly and working on the inner/outer rockers, floor supports, floors and of course trunk and quarters.....other then that, just crusin'

Any pics???

65chevelle''ss''
08-19-2007, 06:44 PM
are you going to do the entire firewall or do you want to put a fill plate where the heater box would be? I made a fill plate for my nova and i have access to a 65 chevelle so if you cant find one and wanted me to make you one let me know. I will post a picture of the one i made.
BRAD

We already did my firewall with the patch panels I just wasn't sure which way is better? Or if it even matters? Here's what it looks like now
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/chevelle1-1.jpg

What do you think? Should I just leave it?

badbrad900rr
08-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I think that looks good! But the car is yours and your personal prefference is what counts. I made a firewall on a 67 nova out of one solid sheet of 14guage, bent a 90 on the top and welded the top and it did real well. It just depends on how flat the top of your firewall is. I had to go back and notch out where the hinges were sitting on the new firewall when the hood shut due to the change of contour. The stock firewall droped down on the sides giving clearance for the hinges. mine went from the tallest point straight across. I will post the pics. Might give you another idea to play with.
BRAD

65chevelle''ss''
08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks good Brad... For now I'm just gonna leave it the way it is. Once I get the rearend fabbed up and the trunk pans done I plan on blowing the thing off the frame and having it powdercoated.. Maybe that will be a job for when it's on the dollys?? Nice work though, looks good.

Blitz
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
3 '65 projects going on now? Nice. Hope that you guys will help increase the aftermarket parts on these things, while keeping the price of the actual Car relatively low still. I saw a good project car down in Cleburne Tx, went back to look at it and it was gone. Funny note, they actually had "Chip Foose style paint job" on the sales sticker. Keep up the good work 65chevelle''ss''.:cool:

65chevelle''ss''
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
3 '65 projects going on now? Nice. Hope that you guys will help increase the aftermarket parts on these things, while keeping the price of the actual Car relatively low still. I saw a good project car down in Cleburne Tx, went back to look at it and it was gone. Funny note, they actually had "Chip Foose style paint job" on the sales sticker. Keep up the good work 65chevelle''ss''.:cool:

Thanks Blitz... When you gonna start yours??? :evil:

Blitz
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Welllll. Don't know. Haha. One day when I'm much wiser. Hell, maybe as soon as I pay off this car. Haha.