PDA

View Full Version : Procharger quality issues?

Fultz1275
08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm looking to put a D1-SC on my 68 chevelle with a 383. I've heard from a few people that among the top three companies: Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger, that Prochargers have the most quality issues. Anyone else seen this. I heard the exact opposite until lately.

Also, what is the recommended PS pump w/remote reservoir for a SB Chevy. Jegs sells a March pump w/remote reservior that actually comes off a pontiac Sunfire. Are there any other inexpensive alternatives out there.

Thanks.

ProdigyCustoms
08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
We have been selling quite a few ProChargers for a few years now, and hove no quality issues. Some of the early NOT self contained units had some issues, but all the self contained units have been pretty good. I do think we have a member here that had a seal leaking, but other then that have heard nothing.

As for you PS pump, The Sunbird pump is the hot set up. You also may weant to consider ProChargers new serpentine set up.

If you have any questions or need pricing, feel free to call

four zero seven 832 1752

Fultz1275
08-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info. The guys at Jegs did say the pump was a sunbird not sunfire.

What are your thoughts on intercooling vs not. It seems like the majority carborated cars on Prochargers website are not running an intercooler. I suppose because of the clutter of runnig the tubing all around the engine compartment. One tube going from the charger to the carb hat is a lot cleaner look. Is the power gain significant enough to justify the intercooler if a clean look is part of your goal. Not to mention the extra $1000+ for the intercooler, tubing and fab that is needed.

ProdigyCustoms
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, in VERY ROUND simple terms, typically on 93 octane pump gas, you can run about 8LBS to 10LBS on a 9:1 motor without intercooling. 10LBS is starting to push it. 8LBS to 10LBS will usually give you about a 40% to 50% increase of the NA power on a properly set up supercharged motor. By properly set up, I am referring to proper cam, induction, exhaust, compression, all specified to take advantage of supercharging.

With intercooling, as a rule of thumb, again, just a general rule, at a given octane (let's say 93 octane) you can add a additional 2LBS of boost for every 10 degrees of cooler ambient air inlet temperature you put into the engine. So if you can cool the air 30 degrees with a air to air intercooler(which you should be able to), you can run 14LBS to 16LBS where you could run 8LBS to 10LBS NON intercooled. The 14LBS to 16LBS will give you about a 80% to 100% increase in power. Actually this 100% gain is supposed to happen in the mid 14LB range (what is called one atmosphere), but that is in a perfect world, it usually takes more like 16LB to see a double HP gain in a non race, less then ideal street engine.

Also, understand that carburetors get more tricky as boost goes up. It is pretty common to be able to tune a 6LBS to 8LBS tune up with good idle, drivability, and wide open throttle. it get;s harder as boost increases to get all of these critical adjustments in a street car. usually driveability suffers, as idle and WOT are pretty easy.

I am a big advocate of fuel injection in boost situations of more then 8LBS to 10LBS

Fultz1275
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the great info. It looks like that with my goal of making good power 550+ and the wheels and the fact that I'm not looking to run on the ragged edge of trying to squeeze every last once of power out of my motor, and that drivability is very important to me, I think I'm leaning towards the D1-SC w/o an intercooler at this time. I am going to give you a call on Thursday to discuss this more but given the following parts what would you do to make the motor more supercharger friendly:

383 (338 HP at the wheels)
Eagle rotating assembly
JE forged pistons
AFR 195 Heads
Performer RPM Airgap
Holley 830 race carb (mech secondary)
Comp Cams : XE284H-10 ( Dur @.50 IN-240 EX-246)
(Gross Lift IN-.507 EX- .510)
Compression: 9.6:1

Thanks again for all the help.

ProdigyCustoms
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
What is the lobe center on that cam? 550 at the tires will be a lofty goal on pump gas. 500 maybe depending on a lot of variables. But if the cam is right we could expect a 40% increase of your 338HP with 6 to 8LBS of boost. We will have to keep a close eye on detonation. 9.6 is a lot of base compression, so we will have to sneak up on the tune up on pump gas. Probably make the first runs on race gas to be safe then creep up on the lower octane.

When you call me, we will go through all the specs.

Adam's 55 Chevy
08-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I have just bought a blower through Frank. It's not here yet as it has a long way to travel but after speaking to about 6 different suppliers he was the best on info, tech advice and price.

Lil Bob
09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey,

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 350 but i am not sure all the things that i need for it, or if i can afford it can someone help me too?

MustangJoe65`
10-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm new to this forum and have some insight to add as to why most blow thru carb setups do not use an air to air intercooler. the main reason is that you really don't need it. the carb acts an an intercooler by extracting heat from the air as it is forced thru it and mixes with the fuel. Air to air intercoolers are great on EFI but do not offer a big improvement on carb setups. a water to air intercooler would be better for a high HP blow thru setup, you would realize a greater reduction in air temps and therefore even more power.

I know a few people running high boost blow thru setups and have no drivability issues. i'd encourage anyone whos looking to learn about it to check out the carbureted forums on www.theturboforums.com

i personally run a low boost 6psi procharger p600b with a home built holley 600dp, i plan on upping the boost to 14psi next year.

DeltaT
10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I disagree with this. An intercooler on a blow-through setup will result in large temp drops in the combustion chamber. Same principle as adding a cold air induction to a non-blown, carbed motor. The fuel provides some cooling, but more is better. I think if you look closely at the motor combinations used by the non-intercooled crowd, they are generally lower compression and/or using race gas.

Jim