PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle Header Suggestions??

Chevelle LT1
01-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Since I've only used the cast iron manifolds previously, I would appreciate any help people can offer: I'm trying to find a set of headers for my 70 Chevelle with the 94 LT1. Don't know if LT1- or Chevelle-specific headers are best, since I want to get this right on the first try. Any info people have about success/frustration with any specific brand is appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Texas Hotrod
01-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I think the LT1 bolt pattern is the same as your basic small block.
LS1 is when EVERYTHING changed.

Chevelle LT1
01-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the info...I know that there was a change to the exhaust port shape for the LT1's, and didn't know how this impacted header selection. Any more info is appreciated, I'm sure plenty of people have run this setup before.....

Jason

Texas Hotrod
01-05-2005, 04:45 PM
That must be when the "D" ports were popular and the round ports were your basic design. LS1 heads are round port, so I guess the D port wasn't much better.
Round port headers will work fine on D port heads. Make sure the gaskets are round port.
I learned by trial-n-error to use some red silicone to seal the headers, and throw the gaskets in the trash. Run a file across the flanges to make sure the faces are clean. The headers on my Biscayne sealed just fine, haven't had any leaks in 6 yrs.

Spend a few extra bucks and get ceramic coated headers. The will look nice for a long time, radiate less heat, and add a few extra ponies (compared to non-coated tubes).

Chevelle LT1
01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Could you tell me what brand headers you're using? I don't know what is best, and what is junk. I figured that I would also get the headers coated after I have the exhaust bung welded in...

Texas Hotrod
01-07-2005, 10:18 PM
The ones I bought years ago were Headman, but that's before anything was ceramic coated. I figured I'd replace them w/a good set if they ever give any trouble. I have so many projects that it's hard for me to go back and change something if it is doing ok. The Biscayne was project #1, I am almost finished w/project #4, soon onto #5 while #6 is waiting. I have way too many parts laying around.

Hooker and Edelbrock are good brands (I'm sure there are others), maybe see what Magnaflow has. They have really good mufflers and stainless tips. Also make sure the head flanges are thick (3/8"+) and the tubes are equal length. It's a good idea on doing the welding first.
I have seen some really crappy coat jobs, sake sure what you get is good quality, internally and externally.

Post back on what you find.