PDA

View Full Version : So Cal area, where's everybody hang at?

Gary Wells
08-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Where's everybody hang at in the greater So Cal area? What cruises?
Anybody going to the Labor Day weekend Cruise at Costa Mesa?
Anybody going to the 1 day "Cruisin' For A cure" show at the Costa Mesa fairgrounds?
Donut Derelict's in Huntington Beach Sat mornings?
Cars & Coffee cruise Sat mornings?
Tuesday night Fuddruckers El Toro Blvd Lake Forest?
Just nosy, I would like to check out some of you guy's cars & see who has what.

rileydawgg
08-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Same here. I go to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank on friday nights occasionally. I know some chevelle guys go to Ricky & Ronnie's in Torrance on Sat I think too. I used to go down occasionally to the Block in Orange when I had my Vette and there'd be an occaional PT car there, but mostly modern sports cars. You'd think there'd be more events and such in LA, but maybe since I'm still relatively new i just haven't found them yet.

Gary Wells
08-12-2007, 03:29 AM
I know some turbo Buicks that go to Bob's Big Boy in the valley Fri's.
Guess nobody wants any noobs checking out their cars. This is really pretty pathetic.

tripower
08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
All the events you listed are good events.

Fudd's in Lake Forest on Tuesdays is always fun. I try to make Cars & Coffee every few weeks. That's nice because they start up around 7 AM so you don't have to be up and out at the crack of dawn! DD in HB is always good though I haven't been there in quite a while.

Mkelcy
08-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I know some turbo Buicks that go to Bob's Big Boy in the valley Fri's.
Guess nobody wants any noobs checking out their cars. This is really pretty pathetic.

I'm not a big car show/cruise guy. To my mind pro-touring is about driving, not polishing. If you want to go up the Angeles Crest on a weekend morning at about 6:30 to 7:00, let me know, because I'm generally there at that time. We can stop at Nuke's, look over the cars, shoot the breeze with the bikers and have breakfast.

6'9"Witha69
08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not a big car show/cruise guy. To my mind pro-touring is about driving, not polishing. If you want to go up the Angeles Crest on a weekend morning at about 6:30 to 7:00, let me know, because I'm generally there at that time. We can stop at Nuke's, look over the cars, shoot the breeze with the bikers and have breakfast.I haven't been out there recently, but do the Forest patrol guys still come around making their presence known? I know a few years back Sat and Sun mornings were peak sport bike times and the CHP and Forest Rangers were trying to keep em contained.

Mkelcy
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I haven't been out there recently, but do the Forest patrol guys still come around making their presence known? I know a few years back Sat and Sun mornings were peak sport bike times and the CHP and Forest Rangers were trying to keep em contained.

At the times I suggested - 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning - it's not too bad at all; you rarely see LEOs going up and there's rarely any traffic that can't be passed in the passing zones. Later in the morning - 9:00 on - it's pretty bad between the squids, the SUV's white knuckling it up the mountain and the cars/trucks with mountain bikes on the back who all seem to think they're going as fast as anyone should want to go and who WILL NOT pull over to let you by. (Sorry, pet peeve.)

The CHP/Rangers/Sheriffs are mostly looking for sport bikes and don't seem to care so much about cars. That's not to say you can go tearing up and down the mountain, but if you do approximately the speed limit for the straights (where people mostly speed and where the LEO's therefore try to catch them) and then tear it up on the curves (where the LEO's aren't looking for speeders) it's a fun run.

In any event, doing the 55 mph speed limit around all the turns from Red Box (the Mount Wilson road turnoff) to the end of the road out by the tunnels can be a lot of fun.

So if there are others out there who aren't into polish, let me know; we can do a run up the ACH.

P.S. - I'm just starting an engine swap and some other maintenance/repair/improvement work on the car, so I'll be out of commission for at least the next two weekends.

6'9"Witha69
08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
...cars/trucks with mountain bikes on the back who all seem to think they're going as fast as anyone should want to go and who WILL NOT pull over to let you by. (Sorry, pet peeve.) Pet peeve of mine too, especially when it is a guy in a porsche, etc who can't drive AT ALL but won't concede the fact.

The CHP/Rangers/Sheriffs are mostly looking for sport bikes and don't seem to care so much about cars. That's not to say you can go tearing up and down the mountain, but if you do approximately the speed limit for the straights (where people mostly speed and where the LEO's therefore try to catch them) and then tear it up on the curves (where the LEO's aren't looking for speeders) it's a fun run.That is what I remember, the sport bike guys get hassled but it still means there are more around to hassle you too.

In any event, doing the 55 mph speed limit around all the turns from Red Box (the Mount Wilson road turnoff) to the end of the road out by the tunnels can be a lot of fun.That's my favorite part!

So if there are others out there who aren't into polish, let me know; we can do a run up the ACH.

P.S. - I'm just starting an engine swap and some other maintenance/repair/improvement work on the car, so I'll be out of commission for at least the next two weekends.Mine needs some atention too. Perhaps in a month or so, maybe sooner as AYSO soccer starts soon and I am an Asst. Coach.

Mkelcy
08-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Perhaps in a month or so, maybe sooner as AYSO soccer starts soon and I am an Asst. Coach.

Let's try to do it. It would be nice to see at least one other 1st generation up on the hill.

Rolling_Thunder
08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I'll be attending Cruising for a Cure and the Fall Fling in the valley....

Friday nights at Ricky and Ronnie's (Sepulveda and normandie intersection)

Friday nights at Ruby's (redondo beach venue)

Gary Wells
08-15-2007, 01:34 AM
I'll be attending Cruising for a Cure and the Fall Fling in the valley.... Friday nights at Ricky and Ronnie's (Sepulveda and normandie intersection) Friday nights at Ruby's (redondo beach venue)
--------------------------
I generally enter my '87 turbo Buick in the Cruising For A Cure show, don't know this year if I will enter or just spectate, but I will be there for sure.
Fall Fling in the valley I generally go but as a spectator only as I do not own a Mopar, will probably go this year also.
I have enver been to Ricky & Ronnie's in Torrance yet, I have heard about it, just haen't been. Are they tolerant to late model high performance cars such as the '87 turbo Buick? A lot of shows/cruises are not.
I used to go to Ruby's Redondo Beach Friday night but haven't been for a year or so. When is the last cruise this year?
Maybe we can get together at one of the shows/cruises so i can check out your ride? Ex-Mopar owner here, what's your poison?

CarlC
08-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Nick and Mike, we need to get together for a fun morning. I'm definately game, the earlier the better for the weekends. Let's keep in touch and go as soon as your cars are back in business.

Mkelcy
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Nick and Mike, we need to get together for a fun morning. I'm definately game, the earlier the better for the weekends. Let's keep in touch and go as soon as your cars are back in business.

That sounds great! Shall we post in this thread?

CarlC
08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Email would work much better for me. I travel too darn much and many times cannot access internet sites. The Crackberry is my electronic ball-and-chain.

[email protected]

6'9"Witha69
08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Email would work much better for me. I travel too darn much and many times cannot access internet sites. The Crackberry is my electronic ball-and-chain.

[email protected] know EXACTLY what you mean. My company leash in answered every waking hour it seems (drives the wife nuts).

Carl, is your swap done yet? If so, damn was that fast.

CarlC
08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Nope, not a chance. But damn, it sure looks good on the engine stand! Still need fuel tank, headers, and a few assorted items before the dive.

Steve1968LS2
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Nope, not a chance. But damn, it sure looks good on the engine stand! Still need fuel tank, headers, and a few assorted items before the dive.

So, your car is down right now?

Anyways, I will cruise the Fairlane to the Great Labor Day cruise.. and the Camaro will go to the Cruising for a Cure.

I go to shows to hang out with people and I know a lot of folks at those events. We bs, bench race and check out other cars for ideas. It's a social event, plus I scout for cars.

As for cruises, same deal.. Fudruckers and the two Sat morning (donuts and the Ford center) are good bets once my Camaro is on the road... again. lol

Steve N 69 69 69
09-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I go to Bobs in Taluka Lake, once or twice a month. If there was a 100% chance of getting a parking spot , I'd go a lot more.

I'm planning on going to the cruise 4a cure too ( do they have a desperately needs paint award)

As for the Crest run, that sounds like a blast. four 1st gens would be awesome.
add me to that e-mail list. [email protected]

Rolling_Thunder
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
--------------------------
I generally enter my '87 turbo Buick in the Cruising For A Cure show, don't know this year if I will enter or just spectate, but I will be there for sure.
Fall Fling in the valley I generally go but as a spectator only as I do not own a Mopar, will probably go this year also.
I have enver been to Ricky & Ronnie's in Torrance yet, I have heard about it, just haen't been. Are they tolerant to late model high performance cars such as the '87 turbo Buick? A lot of shows/cruises are not.
I used to go to Ruby's Redondo Beach Friday night but haven't been for a year or so. When is the last cruise this year?
Maybe we can get together at one of the shows/cruises so i can check out your ride? Ex-Mopar owner here, what's your poison?

Well I own a 1968 Charger - but it's been laid up for quite a while undergoing a facelift... So I get to drive around my boss's 440+6 4-speed Superbird instead. :naughty:

not sure when the last cruise is - I am also not sure about the tolerance at R&R.

Where are you located ? I work in a Mopar resto shop up in Hawthorne, CA - stop by sometime if you want - PM me for the address and all that jazz.

If not - I'll catch up with ya at the Fall Fling

CarlC
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
How goes it guys? Are we getting closer to a fun-run?

Mkelcy
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
How goes it guys? Are we getting closer to a fun-run?

Maybe this weekend. I'm hoping I'll be in a position to need some Holley 950 tuning help.

Chad-1stGen
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Most of my weekends are booked right now but I'm down for a "fun run" on angels crest. Only went up there once so for in my Camaro and had a blast.

Have to double check my Calendar but might have the first weekend in October free.

rockdogz
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I'll be at Cruisin for a cure this weekend, and I like to go to CnC, Fudd's, John Force, and Donut's once in a blue moon (too early!).

6'9"Witha69
09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I was thinking of doing the Chilis show in Chino Hills on Sunday. I am taking Friday off to do some work on the car to get her back to raod wothy. Perhaps we can do Angeles crest instead. Let me see how my Friday session goes. I am antsy to drive either way.

CarlC
09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm out for this weekend since I'm playing Mr. Mom. Most every other weekend looks good.

Chad-1stGen
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I double checked my calendar I can make it the weekend of 10/13. Forgot the 1st weekend in October I'm going to SF for fleet week and family. Go Blue Angels!

6'9"Witha69
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
13th no good for me and every other weekend between then and now. Family reunions, birthday parties, soccer games and a wedding.

SIK02SS
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
i've found that fridays between 10am-1pm is a good time to hit the canyons too

if anyone wants to do some Malibu canyon runs i'm all for it..just moved to this area (from the 909) and know theres tons of canyons here

last sunday of every month theres a big show at the VONS in calabasses from 630am-10am, from what i understand mostly exotics but i guess a little of everything goes

6'9"Witha69
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Is there still a gathering @ Cruisers car wash in Northridge Friday nights?

Steve N 69 69 69
10-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm going to Bob's big boy, in Taluka lake right now.

134 fwy, exit hollywood way.

Later,

SIK02SS
10-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Is there still a gathering @ Cruisers car wash in Northridge Friday nights?

i believe it just started up again...but theres a meet at Flames and an In-n-Out next to either flames or cruisers..

CarlC
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Gentlemen, it's time to set a date.

How about Saturday Nov. 10.? Early. EDIT: Change date.

Steve,

Nope, she's still running. I'm not yanking the drivetrain until the current one is sold and new one is complete with all of the necessary major accessories are in hand.

Mkelcy
10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
That works for me. I'd suggest we meet at the Shell gas station on Angeles Crest Highway - about hundred feet up from Foothill Boulevard in La Canada. From either Angeles Crest exit on the 210 you go downhill to get to the Shell station. I'd also suggest we head out no later than 7:00 a.m. (6:30 would be better) as you start getting a lot more SUVs and minivans if you're much later.

CarlC
10-12-2007, 01:30 PM
That works. I'd be up for meeting even earlier and grabbing some grub.

Chad-1stGen
10-12-2007, 02:43 PM
EDIT: Nevermind :( I can't make it that weekend. I had totally forgot to add the 3 day breast cancer walk my g/f is doing that weekend and I get to go pick her up on Sunday down in San Diego.

It is pretty intense. 20 miles a day Friday through Sunday for a total of 60 miles. Some who have done it say it's harder than a marathon. It will be my g/f's first time.

MIght as well through out the website so if anyone is interested in donating (can be as little as a dollar). http://www.the3day.org/sandiego07/jennibalbach It goes to a good cause.

So I guess if anyone wants to get together another weekend (such as the following or preceding one) I'm game.

CarlC
10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Chad,

I'm good for the 17-18 as well. Mike?

Also, I had the day/date incorrect above. I meant Sat. Nov. 10.

Mkelcy
10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm good for either weekend. (I generally go up every weekend anyway.) I'd still suggest we meet at the Shell station. It's about 22 miles up to Newcomb's Ranch which has pretty decent food. You need to leave the Shell station either at about 6:00, or at about 7:00, because otherwise the rising sun is pretty blinding.

Let me know which day folks want to go, and I'll be there.

CarlC
10-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Right now I too am good for either weekend. Perhaps Chad and Nick can squeeze it in.

Newcomb's sounds good.

Mike, are you going tomorrow (10/14)? If the weather clears I may be open for an early run but I'll have to check the social calendar with my wife.

Mkelcy
10-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Right now I too am good for either weekend. Perhaps Chad and Nick can squeeze it in.

Newcomb's sounds good.

Mike, are you going tomorrow (10/14)? If the weather clears I may be open for an early run but I'll have to check the social calendar with my wife.

If it's clear, I'm going up. Feel free to call me at six two six seven nine seven eight nine eight eight in the morning if you want to meet up. My dogs generally have me up by 5:30, and my wife is in North Carolina right now, so no time is too early for a call.

The nice thing about an early run is that you're generally back no later than 9:00.

Mkelcy
10-13-2007, 04:23 PM
If anyone's interested, CarlC and I are meeting at the Shell station at 6:30 for a run up to Newcomb's Ranch, breakfast and an early run back down, expecting to be back in La Canada no later than 8:30 to 9:00. All are welcome.

Chad-1stGen
10-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey that sounds fun. I am going to try and be there if my car is ready.

CarlC
10-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Chad,

Even if it's not there's a seat in mine if you want to go. I can pick you up, meet me at my house, or meet you at the Shell station. 8182431863 or cell 7345164069

6'9"Witha69
10-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Sunday the 18th is good for (let me double check with my social coordinator). Sunday's are beeter for me as Saturdays are Soccer games for my oldest.

Chad-1stGen
10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I've got it marked down on my Calendar.

Rolling_Thunder
10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Anyone care to tell me what thr route will be ??? If I dont have any pressing projects in the shop I might show up... its only 30 miles to where you guys meet... how long is the run ???

Mkelcy
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Anyone care to tell me what thr route will be ??? If I dont have any pressing projects in the shop I might show up... its only 30 miles to where you guys meet... how long is the run ???

As you get off the 210 freeway at the Angeles Crest exit in La Canada, there's a Shell gas station just down hill, roughly at the corner of Foothill Boulevard and Angeles Crest Highway. We met at 6:30am, and drove about 27 miles (one way) up the Angeles Crest to Newcomb's Ranch, a pretty decent (for a mountain setting) restaurant/bar. We had breakfast at Newcomb's and then headed back down the hill, arriving back in La Canada at about 9:00 to 9:15.

I'd expect the next trip to be about the same. The sun rising in the mountains over the broad valleys as you roar around the hairpins is pretty spectacular.

rileydawgg
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
How hard are you guys going to take the canyons? With the Vette guys (C5s and C6s), we'd go pretty fast through there. I don't know how my 72 Cutlass would take those roads, even with the suspension mods I have done. Also, looks like you guys are all F-bodies... which already makes it a lot easier for your cars in those roads compared to my big ol A-body. If it's going to be more casual, I'd love to join and meet some fellow SoCalers. If you're going to be going pretty hardcore, I don't know if my Cutty would keep up...

Mkelcy
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
How hard are you guys going to take the canyons? With the Vette guys (C5s and C6s), we'd go pretty fast through there. I don't know how my 72 Cutlass would take those roads, even with the suspension mods I have done. Also, looks like you guys are all F-bodies... which already makes it a lot easier for your cars in those roads compared to my big ol A-body. If it's going to be more casual, I'd love to join and meet some fellow SoCalers. If you're going to be going pretty hardcore, I don't know if my Cutty would keep up...

We went a little more than the speed limit in the curves, and then waited as needed for the trailing cars to catch up on the straights. That's the safe approach for avoiding unpleasant encounters with LEOs and also keeps the group together. This is meant to be a fun run up the Angeles Crest for breakfast, not a track day. You'd be more than welcome to join us.

Steve N 69 69 69
10-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I'll be on a cruise ( on a big slow ship) 11-9 till 11-18, but I'm 1000% into going up the crest, any time its on again, after those dates. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Later,

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2007, 07:03 AM
What day is this again?

I could bring the fairlane.. she really needs an overdrive though. This C4 KILLS me on the freeway. lol

Mkelcy
10-18-2007, 08:22 AM
What day is this again?

I could bring the fairlane.. she really needs an overdrive though. This C4 KILLS me on the freeway. lol

The proposed date is Sunday, November 18. No meeting time has been set yet, but the later you go (anytime after about 8:00) the more traffic you hit and the less fun you have. As Carl and Chad saw last weekend, 6:30 works extremely well.

In any event, you should be good and awake after grinding up from Anaheim Hills without an overdrive.

CarlC
10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
It looks like Sun. Nov. 18 is it. Looks good for me. I'll book it with my social coordinator.

6:30 it is.

It's 27 miles and a bunch of elevation change so be sure to have plenty of fuel. There's no gas available after the Shell station.

I agree with Mike. It's totally casual and go-at-your-own pace. There is only one turn to make so getting lost on the way there is tough. Take it at your own pace and have fun.

If anyone wants to go for a ride I have an empty passenger seat.

Steve1968LS2
10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
The proposed date is Sunday, November 18. No meeting time has been set yet, but the later you go (anytime after about 8:00) the more traffic you hit and the less fun you have. As Carl and Chad saw last weekend, 6:30 works extremely well.

In any event, you should be good and awake after grinding up from Anaheim Hills without an overdrive.

Well ****, if it's NOVEMBER 18 then I can bring the Camaro :bananna2:

6'9"Witha69
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Well ****, if it's NOVEMBER 18 then I can bring the Camaro :bananna2:I GOTTA make this one then!! :revto9k:

CarlC
10-18-2007, 05:43 PM
This is getting good!

Also, bring a jacket. It gets nippy up there, likely in the low 30's in the early hours.

Headcount:

Carl
Chad
Mike
Nick
Steve
rileydawgg
Rolling Thunder

Who else?

Mike, you're right. We should pay homage to the Crest on a regular basis.

Mkelcy
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
This is getting good!

Mike, you're right. We should pay homage to the Crest on a regular basis.

I'm really glad to see this coming together. It's great to meet fellow P-T.Com members and to share a wonderful piece of road with them.

Chad-1stGen
10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Agreed Mike. This is shaping up nicely!

BTW Steve the Fairlane looks like a cool ride but yeah bring the Camaro :)

6'9"Witha69
10-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Damn, just thinking about a group of 1st gens traversing the crest is making me antsy!!

CarlC
10-19-2007, 07:58 PM
BTW Steve the Fairlane looks like a cool ride but yeah bring the Camaro :)

......and a camera :cool:

41565 chevelle
10-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Fellas, I cruise the Donut Shop on sat mornings, I'm the cop usually crusin' through between 0630-0700,, That is the end of my shift and I go to see some of the cool cars and end the evening on good note.... I hate the stupid comments though from the clowns that go there. Come up and say your from this site and say hello! See you guys out there. Fuds in Lake Forest is nice too...take the kids out there once in a while.

Gary Wells
11-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Fellas, I cruise the Donut Shop on sat mornings, I'm the cop usually crusin' through between 0630-0700,, That is the end of my shift and I go to see some of the cool cars and end the evening on good note.... I hate the stupid comments though from the clowns that go there. Come up and say your from this site and say hello! See you guys out there. Fuds in Lake Forest is nice too...take the kids out there once in a while.
Sir:
I hit DD's about every 3 weeks or so, and almost always park in the same row and very close to the big Ace Hardware sign. Drop by sometime and say hi, I almost always have my white '87 Turbo-T Buick there. I generally say hi when you cruise by and never come up with any stupid comments. Well, not to LEO's anyway.

Steve1968LS2
11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
In two weeks (working next weekend) I will be at DD's in the Camaro :)

Of course when the alarm clock goes off I might change my mind.. lol

Chad-1stGen
11-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Hey Steve. You doing goodguys so no crest next weekend for you?

Steve1968LS2
11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey Steve. You doing goodguys so no crest next weekend for you?

Yea, I was assigned to go to the Scottsdale event.. oh well, it beats doing chores around the house.

CarlC
11-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Looks like Mike's driving Penny!

Mkelcy
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Looks like Mike's driving Penny!

Don't worry. I'll take good care of her.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Gary Wells
12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I am going to be at Donut Derelicts this Sat, 12/15/2007, early A.M., with my '87 turbo Buick with another friend with an '87 GN. Drop on by and say hi if you are there. I almost always park under the tall hardware sign or very close by.

Kman
12-14-2007, 01:44 AM

Wish I knew you were stopping by. Bummer.

Kman
12-14-2007, 01:49 AM

I'll be sure to say hi this Saturday if you cruise on in. Did you see the black chevy that crashed a few weekends ago leaving the lot? I wasn't there, but my grandma who works in the donut shop told me all about it. Apprently the guy that owned the black Chevy let his son drive it.