PDA

View Full Version : Rag Joint Removal

TnBlkC230WZ
08-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I need to change the steering column to firewall seal on a 71 Nova. Can I remove the rag joint and column shift lever to get it off? I don't need the column shift lever any longer. Below is a pic

MrQuick
08-10-2007, 10:39 PM
the upper section is part of the shaft. You would have to completely disassemble the colume to remove the shifter stuff.

Are you running a stick or floor shifted auto? You can still hook up the lever on an automatic to operate your PN and reverse light switches.

TnBlkC230WZ
08-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm running a 4speed and will soon go to a 5 speed. I can cut the shift arm off with no loss. I plan on tapping into the the reverse light switch. I need to change the seal that is slid around the column. I was hoping to slide it off the end. The upper part of the column is in good shape and I don't really want to completely disassemble it unless necessary. Not sure what is involve with it either. I would also like to change the rag joint. It is not in the best of condition and I'm putting in a new stearing box.

MrQuick
08-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Its alot of work to disassemble the column.

You can just leave that shifter stuff there. Remember even when you are not running the shifter you will have to lock the column sleeve or you might not be able to remove our key.