PDA

View Full Version : Hydroboost?? Pros and Cons

skeeters65
08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Can some one tell me the pros and cons of a Hydroboost system??

Thanks

go-fish
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Cons???

rocketrod
08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
IMO the only con for some may be the cost of the setup, but personally I think it was worth every dime I paid for it.

MarkM66
08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
If you loose a belt, or your p/s fluid boils, how will this effect your brakes?

skeeters65
08-08-2007, 05:51 PM
OK..
So what makes it so much better than a regular booster??
Thanks

pchdrive
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Pressure baby, alot more pressure than with a regular booster. I've recall reading the hydroboost creates ~1500psi of pressure vs. ~ 800psi. I have a hydroboost system with my 4 wheel disc 69FB. I've let 2 really experienced car guys (engine builder and tranmission guy) drive my car. Both commented that the brakes were the best they have ever felt on an older car.

Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Pressure,Modulation, and overall performance. If you throw a belt the accumulator will give you a couple of stops then its like manual brakes till you put the belt back on. I just put mine on and have about 200 miles on it and it far exceeded my expectations. It also doesn't rely on engine vacuum so if your 17in.hg. or lower you need a Hydro-Boost. Don't even think of a vacuum pump.

CarlC
08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
If you loose a belt, or your p/s fluid boils, how will this effect your brakes?

A pressue accumulator, used on all modern versions of the HB, will allow for 2-3 good pumps before the assist falls off. You still have non-assist brakes the same as you would if a vacuum booster was used.

There is a ton of HB info in the search archives.

PARKERRS
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Power steering fluid boiling doesn't effect or harm it until the pumps burnt up. I burnt up the p/s pump on my Camaro during track day and the brakes were always 100%. I needed a new pump afterwards though. The pedal would get a little hard at idle with the bad pump but once the revs picked up you had perfect boost.

6'9"Witha69
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
If you loose a belt, or your p/s fluid boils, how will this effect your brakes?If you run hard and long enough to boil the fluid, run a cooler. And that applies to everyone with PS not just HB users. The only other issues are line routing and setup. Too much back pressure and hitting the brakes can stiffen the steering and turning the wheel can drag the brakes. Set up properly there should never be an issue, HB unit and PS pump failure being the only exceptions.

parsonsj
08-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Of course there are cons. Nothing in life is free.

1. Packaging and plumbing for starters.
2. The inability to run dual masters with a balance bar.
3. Loss of brake feel and ease of modulation compared to a manual setup.

The rest of you covered the pros petty well. :)

jp

6'9"Witha69
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Of course there are cons. Nothing in life is free.

1. Packaging and plumbing for starters.
2. The inability to run dual masters with a balance bar.
3. Loss of brake feel and ease of modulation compared to a manual setup.

The rest of you covered the pros petty well. :)

jpI think some are working on #2 and even though Carl has been running HB for a while, he modulates very well (I was glad he has harnesses in his car).

EricButler
08-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Nothing but praise for the system here. I can't get over how awesome this system works on my car. I have driven several other high tech cars also and none of them had a brake feel like I have now with the Baer's and the Hydroboost set up. And don't forget the AWESOME customer service from Paul. He is an awesome guy to deal with. I had some issues with one of the fittings he sent me with another Mustang we are building right now. I called him up told him the problem. He said send him some pictures of the issues I was having and he would take care of it. The part I needed arrived on my doorstep like 4 days later no questions asked. Now that is customer service.

Hammered
08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Ditto what Eric said. I got used to the brake feel in a few days and am thankful to have all the extra stopping power now.

CapSS92
08-12-2007, 03:29 AM
I can't believe how my Chevelle stops with the hydroboost. I'll never go back to a vacuum booster.

Alex