PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive throttle body

68Formula
01-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I know some people have used carbs in the past, but let's start out by saying fabbing is not my thing.

So far I haven't found anything less than about $500 that has an IAC and TPS provision. Anyone else found something cheaper? I'd like at least 800cfm.

Thanks.

jakespeeds
01-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Take a look on ebay for a Q45 Infinty TB. Has everything you just asked for. I have never figured out the cfm of the unit but there are a ton of people pushing the 450 hp mark with the Infinity V8.

Jake

68Formula
01-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Forgot to mention I was goinb for something that would use a standard carburetor like flange!

jakespeeds
01-02-2005, 06:51 AM
You could still do it but you would have to make an adapter. It would not care which way it was facing.

Jake

andrewb70
01-02-2005, 07:28 AM
If you can find a used Holley 4bbl die cast TBI throttle body, you can easily convert it by taking out the injectors and fabricating a block off plate for the regulator. Look for a 900cfm rated TB.

Andrew

79T/Aman
01-02-2005, 04:58 PM
try force FI in florida not sure if still in business but they had the original Cutler unit I got one back in 96 or 97 for about $275 I think now holley got it and doubled the price.

pushrod243
01-02-2005, 05:44 PM
http://www.force-efi.com/

Link to force but i didnt see a throttle body for $275 there.

79T/Aman
01-02-2005, 07:02 PM
hey thanks I looked and found it but holy crap $550 :jawdrop: sorry about that.
it urinates me off when they do that I do understand business but come on the cnc program was originaly done by Dave Cutler, rest his soul, in 1991, mine didn't come with tps or iac but that should not double the price just my .02 angry cents.

carbuff
01-02-2005, 08:57 PM
amcmike,

I just happen to have an extra throttle body leftover from my 2nd gen Camaro project. I was trying to find a picture of it on my website, but I don't have one apparantly to show you. It is a 1200cfm unit made by a company called Full Throttle Performance in NY. It bolts onto a standard Holley carb flange (not a Dominator flange), so it will attach to most manifolds that you might want to convert.

This one has a feature I haven't seen on any other units. You can adjust to initial opening of both the primary and secondary butterflies separately. You can use that to give a little more flexibility on the initial TPS setting at idle.

The unit also has the IAC and TPS installed. I don't know if I ever actually drove the car with it installed, but I did run the engine with it several times... I used it to help diagnose some problems I was having with my ECU at the time.

I'd be willing to make you a deal at a good bit better than $500 too. :) I'd keep it if I were planning to do another fuel injected SBC anytime soon, but my next project is likely to be LSx based...

Drop me a PM or an email if you are interested. I'll have to retrieve it from a storage room to get pics, but I can if you are interested...

Bryan

rcotteleer
05-25-2005, 03:24 AM
This has got to be about the cheapest answer out there ($75!), haven't seen one in person.

http://www.auto-nomics.com/cgi-bin/showresults?a=detail&part=10850-002-D

JL8Jeff
05-25-2005, 06:53 AM
You could use a 454 TBI from a 88-93 Chevy truck. Just make sure you get the TBI with the 2" bore from the factory and I think the highest flowing injectors they came with were the purple top injectors which are around 80-90 lbs/hr. I see them on Ebay once in a while and sometimes they still have the IAC and TPS on them. Should be $225 at the most. Then you can use the GM vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator and it should be good for 400-450 hp.

BB69
06-06-2005, 08:27 AM
I have one of those Auto-Nomics pieces. It was originally used as a system on Dodge motorhomes using the 440. It has four fuel injector bosses built right into it, so you don't even need to mount FI bosses on your manifold. That seems like a good deal for the throttle body. Mine does not have the TPS sensor in it or an IAC. It does bolt right up in place of a Holley, and it's much shorter as well. However, a standard Holley air cleaner does not fit on it.

Ken

EDIT: I just read through the rest of the Auto-Nomics page, and they have taken care of all the issues I pointed out. They will add the TPS and IAC for an extra fee, and they make an adaptor that will allow the use of a standard air cleaner base. They also offer plugs for the injector bosses if you have the injectors mounted in your manifold. I have dealt with the owner of Auto-Nomics personally, and he was very willing to help me out for a project I was working on. I think you will have a good experience with this company.