PDA

View Full Version : Steering arm/wheel issue

carguy502
08-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a 69 Nova that is running the fatman Gforce tall spindle w/ 2" drop along with Edelbrock 454 wheels (17X8, 4.5 BS) and I have an issue with the steering arms/tie rods contacting the rim. My temporary (2 years temporary) solution was to use 1/2" spacers between the spindle and steering arm which moved my arms much closer to the stops on the frame, effectivly killing my turning radius which sucks in a daily driver that sees u-turns. I love the wheels and cannot get them in any other size, stance, and ride on my car and was wondering if there were any steering arms that might fit or any other ideas to restore my turning radius.

MrQuick
08-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Can you post a picture of the rear side? Its a common problem that can be fixed with a shorter steering arm. They are rare and expensive if you do happen to find one on ebay. See David Pozzi's site for info on this. http://www.pozziracing.com

if you do find one make sure you match the part numbers. Theres alot of fraud going on.

ITLBTU
08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe you can get another spindle with less drop?

dipren443
08-14-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree with the above poster. I would swap back to stock spindles and use proper lowering springs to get the front down to where I wanted it.

6'9"Witha69
08-14-2007, 02:44 PM
The sticky at the top of this section is exactly what you need to reasd along with David's site

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16609

baz67
08-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Just lose the drop spindles and be done with it. Moving the steering arms is a bad band aid fix at best.

carguy502
08-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I thought all the negative drop spindle commentary pertained to stock height drop spindles, not the tall spindles, though now I will really need to rifle through the drop spindle thread. The handling of the car is where I want it :bananna2: and I have no negative steering/handling charaistics as far as a street car is concerned. Realistically, all I need is a narrower rim, but I love the style of my rims and they are not available in anything but 17X8 with the aforementioned BS. I was looking at the unisteer rack and pinion kit and the steering arm looks as if it would clear. Has anyone have any expirience with these units?

68Formula
08-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Can you get them in a 17 x 7 or are they discontinued? Then you could run 4" backspace which might give you the clearance you need. I don't know what tire size you are running, but a 245/45 will fit no problem.

It's funny that the makers of drop spindles don't check this stuff. Why does it have to be 2" drop anyway? They should just make at as low as you can and still fit.

carguy502
08-15-2007, 06:05 AM
As far as I know, edelbrock 454s or and of its ultra wheels look-alikes were never made in a 17X7. I have thought of trying to get the rim narrowed, but everyone insists insists they would have to re-hoop the thing and it is a one piece wheel. I wonder why they can't slice an inch out of the hoop I have on the back side of the rim...:help:

6'9"Witha69
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I thought all the negative drop spindle commentary pertained to stock height drop spindles, not the tall spindles, though now I will really need to rifle through the drop spindle thread. The handling of the car is where I want it :bananna2: and I have no negative steering/handling charaistics as far as a street car is concerned. Realistically, all I need is a narrower rim, but I love the style of my rims and they are not available in anything but 17X8 with the aforementioned BS. I was looking at the unisteer rack and pinion kit and the steering arm looks as if it would clear. Has anyone have any expirience with these units?If you narrow the rim, especially on the front of a nose heavy car, traction and handling will suffer. Nevermind the terrible geometry and probable massive bumpsteer you have with the current spacers. A Drop spindle is a drop spindle. Being taller only moves the LBJ point up, but it still puts the spindle shaft 2" higher in relation to the LBJ regardless of overall height. This is a form over function modification only! There is a reason the guys @ ATS only built in 7/8" or less (correct me if I am a little off) into the AFX upright.

Boulder69
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
There is a reason the guys @ ATS only built in 7/8" or less (correct me if I am a little off) into the AFX upright.

The way I understand it the drop was needed to clear the big C5/6 bearing pack and was kept as minimal as funtionally possible. I can't wait to bolt mine up.

What I don't understand is why someone doesn't simply make a 1.5 inch taller, no drop conventional spindle with revised steering arm mounting to fix the suspension and steering geometry issues. Seems like a great alternative to those who do not want the added expense of wheels and brakes that the ATS spindle requires. I still haven't got mine on because other stuff keeps taking my Forgeline cash. It seems the only wheels that clear the C5 brakes are REALLY expensive.