PDA

View Full Version : LT1 power steering?

boonedogs72
08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
guys with lt1s what are you doing for your power steering lines and resiviors? and what are you using for your coolant return lines for a puke tank?

Samckitt
08-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Originally I used B body power steering lines & carefully "rebent" them to fit what I needed. Now I am going to make new lines. I am using a Woodward reservoir. I am using the factory Monte radiator & puke tank, I think my radiator lines are factory F body that have been trimmed to fit.

130fe
08-08-2007, 05:02 AM
For the power steering, I ran the corvette accessories with the vette reservoir with no problems. I am now swapping over to a S&P set up with a gm type 2 pump and am going to use a F-body reservoir mounted on the core support.

boonedogs72
08-08-2007, 06:14 AM
are you guys just putting a tee in the line if so does it go in the return side?

Samckitt
08-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Are you talking about the line they call the "steam line" from the back of the heads? I took that directly to the radiator.

boonedogs72
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Are you talking about the line they call the "steam line" from the back of the heads? I took that directly to the radiator.

yeah the steam lines i think im just going to run it to an overflow tank.

Samckitt
08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't know how much water (if any) will go through those lines. But you could potentially fill the overflow tank. I think it is better to route that to something that is pre-radiator cap. Not sure what you are putting this in, but if the pressure in my radiator gets above what the cap will hold, then it goes to the overflow. So I can't route the steam lines to it, otherwise it will fill up. But my 2003 Silverado on the other hand has the pressure cap on the overflow, so It could work that way on it

boonedogs72
08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know how much water (if any) will go through those lines. But you could potentially fill the overflow tank. I think it is better to route that to something that is pre-radiator cap. Not sure what you are putting this in, but if the pressure in my radiator gets above what the cap will hold, then it goes to the overflow. So I can't route the steam lines to it, otherwise it will fill up. But my 2003 Silverado on the other hand has the pressure cap on the overflow, so It could work that way on it

i was going to run a pressurized cap on it and thanks for the help.

boonedogs72
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
any more info on power steering lines using the stock lt1 pump?:help:

Poltergeist
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I made up lines for my power steering and used the stock Impala reservoir.

boonedogs72
08-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I made up lines for my power steering and used the stock Impala reservoir.

did you just put a tee in one of the lines to go to the reservoir?

lt1chevelle
08-08-2007, 09:39 PM
hey here is a pic of my lt1 in my chevelle the canton expantion tank on the fender is what my steam line is running in to. run the line into the top fitting and then the bottom fitting runs into the to header hose with a t fitting in it. on the fender well i also have a canton power steering res iam also running the stock lt1 pump i just make all my lines out r earls power steering line and -6 fittings. let me know if you have any more questions
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/000_0629-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/08/000_0626_0001-1.jpg

LT1Nova
08-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I used power steering hoses and adapters from Pure Choice (http://www.performanceplumbing.com/). My Be Cool (http://www.becool.com/) radiator has a NPT fitting at the top near the cap for the steam line to attach to. I also used modified F Body radiator hoses. The upper has a cut in the middle so it could be rotated a bit.

Poltergeist
08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
did you just put a tee in one of the lines to go to the reservoir?

High pressure from the pump goes to the power steering then to the steering reservoir then back to the pump. Just like the factory does it.

For the steam pipe from the heads I had a fitting added to my radiator to hook the hose up to.

red67camaro
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I toured a local boneyard and found a reservoir from a Nissan Altima (yes I have a Nissan part on my car:eek: ) that with some minor mods worked very well. I used steel braid hose, Russell high pressure hose/fittings for the pressure hose, standard stuff for the return hoses.

The pressure hose runs from the pump down along the frame in front of the motor and around to the steering gear. The return goes from the gear along the fender well to a cooler which is mounted to the RS turn signal mount below the front bumper (unused in my car since it's not an RS), across behind the valance panel and back to the reservoir. This does amount to quite a bit of hose.

The reservoir is mounted to the diagonal fender/radiator support brace on the passenger side just to the right and slightly behind the radiator. The reservoir has a cool quick release mount. Should I need to remove it, it just pulls straight up from a V shaped bracket which I of course transferred to my car.

For the reservoir to pump hose, I was able to use the hose (swapped end for end) that came with the engine. The engine/trans combo are from a 96 Camaro.

I've had it running for ~2600 miles so far since the swap with no problems.

boonedogs72
08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
thanks for all the help guys!