PDA

View Full Version : Bump stops w/ air ride and tubular UCA's and LCA's?

formula
08-04-2007, 06:07 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out some sort of way to limit my front suspension travel. as of right now, I can drop the car so low that the tires dig into the inner fenders, making the car completely immobile. The thought of control or airline failure causing this to happen on the highway is ugly indeed in my head, so I'm trying to work out some sort of bump stop or something to limit travel so that the tires will still roll when my airbags are empty. I have some rubber bump snubber thingies from when I used to have traction bars on my car that I thought would be perfect to mount on the bottom of the subframe, but I can't find a spot where they'll be both mountable due to clearance and come in contact with the lower control arms--it's either one or the other. So, I started trying to think outside the box, and am curious if there is any way to limit the drop via the UCA? Some sort of strap or something that might be used on race cars that I don't know about? Or, if any air ride guys read this, how is the front suspension travel limited on your black second gen?

Thanks!!

darren@ridetech
08-06-2007, 08:32 AM
The Shockwaves have an internal bumpstop, we just use that. I assume you have a 2nd gen as well. What size wheels and tires are you running?

formula
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I've got stock rallye II's (15 x 7) with 225-70-R15 tires on all corners. Talked to Chase at ART and he suggested fabbing up a universal bumpstop. I was thinking of fabbing an "L" shaped bracket to mount on the outside of the frame rail and bump on the LCA--If anybody can think of a better way to mount it, let me know....

Also, any help with wheel sizes (ie. backspacing/offset and tire size) based on what you guys are running on your black second gen would be much appreciated.

syborg tt
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
we did this on our project.

Just to limit the travel to protect my inner fenders

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

ScotI
08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Although ShockWaves have internal bumpstops, they are not a 'cost effective' (cheap) alternative if all you're looking for is a bumpstop to limit travel. If you have the ART/Cool-Ride w/Firestones, you could switch to 'Slam Specialties' bags.

The S.S. bags are similarly priced & have an internal bumpstop. The stones.... as much as I love 'em, don't have this feature.

*EDIT*
Just looked @ your PT Garage info & it seems you have ShockWaves. My info is moot . . .... Nice ride though!

darren@ridetech
08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
We are running an 18 x 8 w/ 5 5/8" BS on the front with a 245/40/18 tire. The rear is a 18 x 9.5 w/ a 5 3/4" BS with a 275/40/18 tire.

darren@ridetech
08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Formula,
tried to send you a pm, but your box is full.

formula
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
sorry, all cleaned out now.

Tony@AirRideTech
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Although ShockWaves have internal bumpstops, they are not a 'cost effective' (cheap) alternative if all you're looking for is a bumpstop to limit travel. If you have the ART/Cool-Ride w/Firestones, you could switch to 'Slam Specialties' bags.

The S.S. bags are similarly priced & have an internal bumpstop. The stones.... as much as I love 'em, don't have this feature.

*EDIT*
Just looked @ your PT Garage info & it seems you have ShockWaves. My info is moot . . .... Nice ride though!

Actually the double convoluted firestones act as their own bumpstop. When they are compressed they are all rubber against rubber.

Tony@AirRideTech
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM
we did this on our project.

Just to limit the travel to protect my inner fenders

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

You ground my decal off !:jawdrop: ........ J/K :razz:

ScotI
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Actually the double convoluted firestones act as their own bumpstop. When they are compressed they are all rubber against rubber.

True.... but I would prefer a little bit more in an emergency. I still have the stones on one truck; just trying out the Slams for my own personal experience.

Bones43x
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
It's kind of amusing hearing people worry about rubbing their inner fenders. A minitrucker would have removed or cut the inner fenders. ;)

My S10 rubs the inner fender at the same time the frame hits the ground. I'm not in the least bit worried. Had it bagged for over 2 years and put 30k miles on it. If you install everything right, you shouldn't have a sudden catastrophic airline or bag failure. I do periodic inspections when I change my oil still, just to be safe. 99.9% of the time when there's a failure it's due to installer error.

69bigblock
08-16-2007, 05:39 PM
The only problem with the older cars is if a line fails the headers and oil pan will drag. I don't mind draggin just not the oil pan. That will way too much sparks on the highway :drive2:

Sschevellenl
03-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Did you find a way to put in bump stops ? I'm in the same situation now.