PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hop help on my 62

GUS68
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey guys!!! It's been a long time since I have posted on here! Life happens. Any way... I know this isn't you usuall 68 camaro stuff but rear suspension is suspension right? Soooo...... I dont know if any of you are familiar with 62 chevys but they are coil spring rears with 2 lower control arms slightly angled in and with the lower spring mount welded to the top of the arm. Originaly there is only one upper arm on the pass side of the center section pointed straight ahead. Then just a cross linkto center the rear attaced to the driver side frame accross to the pass side of the axel. I guess some of the 409 car from the day had a 4th upper link on the driver side just like the one on the pass side. There is a place to mount this 4th link on the frame, so thats what I did by using an upper arm from another car. I have boxed the upper and lower controll arms and installed all new poly bushings. My question is, after I did all of this, the car STILL wheel hops!!! What do I need to do?? What did I do wrong?? What didn't I do?? I just want the hop to go away!!! Make the bad man STOP!!!!!

Marcus SC&C
08-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Since you`ve taken care of excess flex in both the arms and bushings it sounds like pinion angle is the most likely culprit. Is the car lowered at all? A little down pinion may take care of the problem. I`ve seen some of those cars with shim plates between the upper arm mounts and the crossmember. You may be able to get the adj. you need by taking one or more out. If not adj. upper arms are on the agenda. Currie makes a nice beefy adj. set that also has their greasable Johnny joints on the frame side to reduce binding. They make lowers as well. http://www.scandc.com/currectrac.htm Nice stuff and with a little adjustment they should help a lot. One of the guys at Currie is an early Impala nut and these took care of the wheel hop on his nasty big block car. Mark SC&C