PDA

View Full Version : Project Updates

OPM Customs
08-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok,
So I am not new, but I probably have the lowest post count per day on here! I wish that I had more time to spend posting, but of late I haven't. This is my new push to be more compu-friendly. For those of you that don't know who I/we are, there is a BOZE banner that is up /\ there that has a '67 with a B-17 that we built.

Here are two cars that we have done rotisserie resto-mods on:
The first is a '68 Camaro with a LingenfelterLS1/Magna combo infront of a TKO600 that made over 450hp at the wheels and had a torque curve like a pool table. It has 4 wheel SSBC, Heidts tubulars/coils, BOZE 18's and runflats.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

The second is a '68 that has a Turnkey 550 HP LS2 a 4L80, Heidts tubulars/coils and their four link w/coils. The interior is almost finished and has '00 vette front seats, custom console and DVD/Nav.

I have a ton of pics of other projects that I will roll out when I get the hang of it.

Thanks,
Clay

trapin
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks Clay. I went ahead and moved you over here to the Projects section. The cars look great. Please get us more info and pics when you can. And welcome back.

Damn True
08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
What is your impression of the Turnkey supplied LS2? How REALLY ready to install was it? Did you use their "retro-fit" kit? How much did the additional parts add to the total cost?

OPM Customs
08-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Damn True,

It was easy. We made the adapter mounts for it, installed motor mounts the fuel system and integrated the (5-wire) wiring into an American Autowire harness. Then started it. It is loud, raspy, and mean. In other words, exactly what you want.
It is however a speed-density type fuel injection with the MEFI 4b controller, so it isn't exactly smog-friendly, but you could have that tuned-out for emissions, maybe even switch it to a closed-loop tune that would clean it up.

The hardest part was fabbing the fuel system. We wanted ours to be virtually invisible, so it took an extra long time to make right. They send you the pre-filter with AN fittings, the pump, post filter with fittings, a bypass-type return regulator with fittings, and modified fuel rail with a male -6 AN welded on. The headers fit like they are supposed to (hooker lsx conversion) with minor "massaging" needed for the steering box, and we needed to make an aluminum heat shield for the front passenger side control arm bolt as it was a little close for comfort.

I hope this helped!

Clay

Taylor1969
08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
What is the color of the second car? it looks awesome. Do you have more pictures available?

Steve Chryssos
08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Nice looking rides. Very crips body lines. :twothumbs

OPM Customs
08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words, we really enjoy building them.

Taylor1969- The second car is HOK Blue Blood with silver stripes. Here is a closer view. A little low for show!

OPM Customs
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Here is a better shot of the silver car.

Damn True
08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Damn True,

It was easy. We made the adapter mounts for it, installed motor mounts the fuel system and integrated the (5-wire) wiring into an American Autowire harness. Then started it. It is loud, raspy, and mean. In other words, exactly what you want.
It is however a speed-density type fuel injection with the MEFI 4b controller, so it isn't exactly smog-friendly, but you could have that tuned-out for emissions, maybe even switch it to a closed-loop tune that would clean it up.

The hardest part was fabbing the fuel system. We wanted ours to be virtually invisible, so it took an extra long time to make right. They send you the pre-filter with AN fittings, the pump, post filter with fittings, a bypass-type return regulator with fittings, and modified fuel rail with a male -6 AN welded on. The headers fit like they are supposed to (hooker lsx conversion) with minor "massaging" needed for the steering box, and we needed to make an aluminum heat shield for the front passenger side control arm bolt as it was a little close for comfort.

I hope this helped!

Clay

Very helpfull indeed. I'm wondering what to total cost of getting the thing in and running was. I am comparing a turnkey solution against going piecemeal on my own.

OPM Customs
08-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Damn True,

If you plan on building up the motor for more HP and you are not a engine savvy type, then go with Turnkey all the way. They stand behind their work, build a great piece, and are great to deal with.

If you are going to run a stocker, and have a moderate amount of mechanical skill, then I would take on the challenge. It is fun, rewarding, and a fantastic powerplant.

If you need any other help, please feel free to ask.

Clay

ViperBlue68
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Here are two cars that we have done rotisserie resto-mods on:
The first is a '68 Camaro with a LingenfelterLS1/Magna combo infront of a TKO600 that made over 450hp at the wheels and had a torque curve like a pool table. It has 4 wheel SSBC, Heidts tubulars/coils, BOZE 18's and runflats.

Nice cars man...am I reading this right you have a lingenfelter Magnacharged Ls1 and it ONLY put down 450 rwhp?we have a member that is getting 452 rwhp on a n/a modified combo with an Ls1...just thought the magnacharger would put out more

Damn True
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Take into account about 18% drivetrain loss and it's a 550hp engine. 450 to the rear wheels is pretty stout.

OPM Customs
08-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Consider that a stock LS1 makes 350 at the crank.

Damn True
08-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Damn True,

If you plan on building up the motor for more HP and you are not a engine savvy type, then go with Turnkey all the way. They stand behind their work, build a great piece, and are great to deal with.

If you are going to run a stocker, and have a moderate amount of mechanical skill, then I would take on the challenge. It is fun, rewarding, and a fantastic powerplant.

If you need any other help, please feel free to ask.

Clay

I have no doubt that I could do it myself. It's more a matter of the hassle:cost ratio.

monza
08-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Nice Cars! Sorry for the dumb question is Turnkey a engine builder or is that what your calling a crate motor? Did you build those for customers or are they for sale?

Damn True
08-02-2007, 02:02 PM
"Turnkey Engine Supply" is a builder/supplier of "plug and play" engines.

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/

monza
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks

ViperBlue68
08-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Take into account about 18% drivetrain loss and it's a 550hp engine. 450 to the rear wheels is pretty stout.

no doubt..I was thinking its just way cheaper to not go with a magnacharger if it is not that big of a difference in rwhp....or maybe i'm missing something?could be a very tame tune?

OPM Customs
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
We build them for customers, or for spec. We have a '68 with a Lateral Dynamics three link installed blasted and on the rotisserie waiting for a new owner.

BTW Lingenfelter street engines do have a mild tune as they are built to last 100k.

Clay