PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Car Tv Sub Frame Mods????

juveteach
08-01-2007, 06:11 AM
MUSCLE CAR on Spike TV!!!
Any one see Lou sunday on muscle car tv?

He took a 1st gen subframe, cut the main cross member out and replaced it with 1/4 flat steel boxing a 1" square tube and some braces.

Question is has anyone done this?
What about FLEXING over bumps?
Wouldn't it just bow in under the load?
They are using roll bars to hold their stuff rigid, would it be safe and work without roll bars??

Really want to do something like this but don't want it to buckle. Is this a good way or you guys got a better way?
The guys at W2W did a simular thing to their sleeper nova
http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/t-novabuild-2.aspx

S whats ya'll take on this, do it or not.
Thanks! :dunno: :idea:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

hotrdblder
08-01-2007, 06:14 AM
whats this the 2nd or 3rd time you posted this,, why ??

juveteach
08-01-2007, 06:17 AM
No just saw the episode on sunday for the first time. I did post on the open discussion side mon but felt like it was the wrong board to post in.
Maybe someone else has asked before....not me first time.

Damn True
08-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Dude, seriously.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32958&highlight=lou+subframe

LowBuckX
08-01-2007, 07:13 AM
It was also talked about in February.. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27084&highlight=Muscle+car

juveteach
08-01-2007, 08:44 AM
To Damn True;
Dude, seriously. check the date of the post before you flame out on someone. Like I said I posted on Mon 7-30-07 the FIRST TIME. i've never seen the program until this Sunday the 7-29-07.

Damn True
08-01-2007, 08:57 AM
The point was YOU made the post on the 30th, it got 7 replies.

YOU then posted the EXACT SAME question again just two days later.

Furthermore, the subject has already been discussed waaaaaaaay back in February.

....and that was not a "flame".

juveteach
08-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok I appologize.
It was the first time seeing it and I didn't know it was a re run and I should have done a seaarch first. I thought you were saying I had posted the question before the 30th.

Any way, whats your take on the 14" missing subframe? You think its stong enough, or will it fold in?

Damn True
08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't do it to my car. Seems like a drag oriented modification. W2W did it on their Nova though. If you can find build photos of that car I'd duplicate their work rather than the dude on TV.

6'9"Witha69
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
It seemed like he didn't know what he was gonna run engine wise, but wanted to make sure anything would clear. Stupid to cut to fit when you don't know what you're going to fit. Get an ATS or similar pan if it's an LSx and anything SBC or BBC will bolt right up w/o mods needed. If strength is a concern, box the front cross brace.

Overall not something I like seeing on TV for car guys.

juveteach
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Will be running a LS1 don't have the budget fot the oil pan wanted to do simular mod to subframe without sacrifice of strength. will be running a rack or a box don't know yet.

79T/Aman
08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
them Darn F***** dumb a$$ shows,it's worst than when the "slow and the dumb" movie came out!

zman1969
08-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Will be running a LS1 don't have the budget fot the oil pan wanted to do simular mod to subframe without sacrifice of strength. will be running a rack or a box don't know yet.

Check with brphotrods.com they make a kit to install the LS1 rack into a firstgen and install LSX engines , may not be the bet setup out there but not to hard to do if you can weld , just another option
I dont know why GM left out std engine mounts on the LSX engines- woulda been alot easier for these swaps

HotRod68Camaro
08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I have the BRP kit and do not like it one bit. there are variances between the mounting tabs since they are made by hand. And you turning radius goes to ****. Get a new oil pan its the best way to do it.

rich-allen
08-08-2007, 04:29 AM
I doubt they will ever use that sub frame in a build.
That rack looked like Pinto gear to me.