PDA

View Full Version : Need help from guys who have done it: Picking a body shop?

formula
08-01-2007, 04:44 AM
I'm getting ready to try to find a place to respray my car, and am naturally very worried after all the horror stories I've heard. So I was hoping maybe you guys could help me put together a list of what to ask, what to look for, etc in order to find a quality body shop. What did you like about the body shops you've worked with? To those with horror stories, what signs did you notice early on but pass over, and now think back and wish that you'd pulled out then? Anything else you all can think of to add would be great.

Damn True
08-01-2007, 07:10 AM
As close as you are, I'd put it on a trailer and take it to Frank at Prodigy.

David Sloan
08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Find a couple shops call them to see what they have going on that you can look at.

Get them to show you some of there work. ask if they have customers other than friends that you could talk with about there experience with them.
Go look at the shop an check it out 1st hand, stop in again in a month or so an see what has changed on some of the projects since the last time you were there.
Call Me if you have any other ?s you would like to ask.
678-873-6578

Smock67
08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Definetely take his advice^. I have a horror story for you but its actually kind of ironic. My first car was a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. I called around a bunch of places to get a round about idea for what it would cost for a lip kit and a two tone would cost. I got prices ranging from 1500 all the way to 7000. I went to these shops and had a look around and i finally found one that right as i pulled up they were finishing up a car. Looked it over and the paint was like glass.

Anyway without hesitation i dropped my car off and told them i needed it by August 4th which was my birthday. Shouldn't have been real hard considering a dropped it off on June 27th. Needless to say i didnt get the car on my birthday which was promised to me. The paint had loads of runs in it, the paint job itself wasn't what i really wanted, yadda yadda yadda.

Funny thing is I now work for them and i come to find out that mine was the third or fourth car he had ever painted. The car that rolled out the day i came there had been there for 6 months getting work done to it, body work mind you. Now my firebird is there but im doing all the work on it and i know it's getting done right.

SO make sure you don't jump into a shop. Come back and see how they have progressed on projects, really look at the craftsmanship and dedication to their work.