PDA

View Full Version : '52 Chevy Truck - Rear Leaf Springs

billscamaros
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
i have a '52 chevy half ton truck and i want to set the rear down a couple of inches. this truck has a nova 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear in it now.

the plan was to just replace the aging rear shackles ... as usual, it's ended up with the rear springs out of it. i'd like to rework the rear so that the truck sits about two inches lower than it is now.

so, two questions .....

the original leaf springs have 8 leafs. can i remove one or two of these leafs to achieve my goal? how hard is it to pull the spring pack apart, remove a leaf or two, and repack them? it looks pretty straightforward. but then again, all of my mistakes looked simple to start with ......

or would i just be better off to use two inch lowering blocks and leave the leafs alone?

my long term plan would be a four link. but i'm just not quite ready to do that yet - $$$$$

thanks

bill

MonzaRacer
07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
The parallel 4 link from Air ride Technologies can be had pretty cheap,$499 and you can get the triangulated setup for $399.
Use coil springs till money comes around and then add air springs later.
and $749 or $849 with springs included.
You can use simple air lines and fittings and use a air hose at home to fill them to begin with and a small pertable for away.
Also you can use the air over leaf to give you a better ride and be able to hold loads better.
Looks like $325 for your application, just remove all the leafs but the main and the next longest one and then install the air over leaf.
It all works and can be manual fill or you cna opt in a compressor and paddle switch set up.
It works and its very affordable in most ranges.
You can also check out the universal kits too at www.ridetech.com.
give one of the ART fellas here a pm.
the neat thing about the air over leaf you can raise it back up if needed.
Good Luck
Lee