PDA

View Full Version : Which way do rods face on SBC?

JEFFTATE
07-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Ok , I think I know the answer to this , but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't :

Which direction do the rods on a smallblock chevy face ?
In other words, I know the piston has a mark that indicates which end or side faces the front of the engine. But , Which side of the rod faces the front of the engine. Or , which side of the rod faces the other rod that is on the same rod journal. I think the chamfered ( machined ) edges face away from each other ? right ?

There are little bumps on the rods and rod caps. Do the bumps indicate forward , or do the bumps indicate the side of the rod that faces away from the adjoining rod ?

Does it matter which way they face?

camcojb
07-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok , I think I know the answer to this , but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't :

Which direction do the rods on a smallblock chevy face ?
In other words, I know the piston has a mark that indicates which end or side faces the front of the engine. But , Which side of the rod faces the front of the engine. Or , which side of the rod faces the other rod that is on the same rod journal. I think the chamfered ( machined ) edges face each other ? right ?

There are little bumps on the rods and rod caps. Do the bumps indicate forward , or do the bumps indicate the side of the rod that faces away from the adjoining rod ?

Does it matter which way they face?

tangs out ( tangs that hold the rod bearings match up to each other and when assembled correctly will face towards the outside of the block). Chamfered side goes against the edge of the journal, non-chamfered faces the other rod, thus the chamfered sides do NOT face each other.

Jody

zbugger
07-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Like Jody said, it's chamfered edge crank side.

JEFFTATE
08-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys. That's what I thought.
I just wanted to double check myself.
( p.s. , I'm not really stupid. I just act that way.)