PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever fixed a bent rear frame?

TA219
12-30-2004, 07:33 AM
This is probably the one issue that scares me more then anything else on my 67 Camaro, The car was rear-ended and i did not see the frame damage when i purchased the car.

It is bent under the trunk and "kinked" slightly where the frame comes up over the axle.

I have seen replacement parts made for rusted or damaged rear frames from Classic Industries and I see that it looks like art morrison can make a complete rear clip

I was just curious to hear if anyone has delt with this kind of issue and what the best solution is?

Thanks

zuess4u
12-30-2004, 07:57 AM
This is probably the one issue that scares me more then anything else on my 67 Camaro, The car was rear-ended and i did not see the frame damage when i purchased the car.

It is bent under the trunk and "kinked" slightly where the frame comes up over the axle.

I have seen replacement parts made for rusted or damaged rear frames from Classic Industries and I see that it looks like art morrison can make a complete rear clip

I was just curious to hear if anyone has delt with this kind of issue and what the best solution is?

Thanks

We have the same year and issue. Like anything it depends on time and money, if you have both, then replace the rails, its not any easy job though. We used bottle jacks and such, made two slices in the bend over the axle, come alongs, and other items to get the rails back to the stock position. Then re-enforced both sides of the rails with 1/4 steel plate. Added 2x2 square steel for relocating shock mounts, and another piece in between the very ends of the rails. This was easier the replacing the rails, and has stiffened and strenghtened the rear. IMO

MuscleRodz
12-30-2004, 09:09 AM
A more important question is, are the quarters kinked, and is the rear of the car square? If they are not kinked, and the car is square where it had been properly fixed, I wouldn't worry about it to much. If not, then I would seek more evasive action.

Mike

TA219
12-30-2004, 09:53 AM
The impact was all to the pass side so the rear qtr was crushed, i have already taken that off of the car and everything under it looks ok.

The rear being square is what i am worried about, right one side of the frame is bent and the other is fine so the back end is not square currently, after i cut out the damaged sections and weld in new stuff then it will be ok.

I just wanted to see if anyone has ever done it and what they had done