PDA

View Full Version : A-body w/ F-body spindles??

80proZ
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Was trying to find this info about putting 2nd gen spindles and rotors on an A body.I know i found it before but lost it now.THought it was sold by a guy named crocie or something and you need some sort of adapter to make it work.If someone could point me in the right direction,I'd much appriciate it
Thanks fellas

Marcus SC&C
07-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Do a search here and read up before you attempt it. It`s usually refered to as the B spindle swap because those spindle are the same as F body but some allow the use of larger 12" rotors. The short answer is that both are a bad idea! They require specially machined lower ball joints,they widen the car`s track width which often causes tire interference issues,worse of all the integral steering arms are too long and have the wrong vertical offset which roughly doubles the already bad factory bumpsteer,slows the steering ratio and reduced ackerman making the car a lot less responsive than it could be. 15 years ago it was the only mod you could really to to try and make an A body handle but today there are scores of better solutions. Mark SC&C

80proZ
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
What would you suggest as a good low buck disc upgrade for a 68 Tempest?non power would be fine,but i'd really like disc on the front as i'm gonna put a decent built 455 in it and the 4 wheel drums suck.
Thanks

shep
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
What would you suggest as a good low buck disc upgrade for a 68 Tempest?non power would be fine,but i'd really like disc on the front as i'm gonna put a decent built 455 in it and the 4 wheel drums suck.
Thanks
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107745

andrewb70
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I would also look into getting the ATS spindles. Not exactly ultra low buck but a very elegant solution with a ton of brake options, including very good C5 brakes.

Andrew