PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge sensor on an LT1?

Samckitt
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Any reason why I can't put it in the waterpump near the PCM temp sensor to run the gauge on an LT1? My ignition loom bracket is in the way where the hole is in the head for the sensor, so was thinking of having the waterpump drilled & tapped for it. Any thoughts?

WS6
07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Why not on the passenger head at the very back where there is already a tapped hole? Aside from that, I see nothing wrong with putting it in the water pump. The water goes into the heads first anyway. If you can put it on the output port of the water pump the difference should be minimal. Besides it is only the gauge. The ECM sensor location is way more important

Samckitt
07-23-2007, 02:59 AM
I think the tapped hole you referring to is between the #1&3 cylinders & my ignition wire brackets interfere with it in that position. The spot on the pump that I am thinking of drilling is just above the sensor. There is a hose fitting there on some models. Not sure for what. Oil cooler maybe.

WS6
07-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes, the hole I am referring to would be between the 6&8 ports or 1&3. They used so many different water pumps on the LT motors that I can't even begin to keep up. Not only was it chassis specific but different years had different styles for the same chassis. I think you'll be fine drilling and tapping that hole if there is a boss right there that you intend to use.

MonzaRacer
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
No dont run it in the pump

WS6
07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
Why?

Samckitt
07-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I am going to try to figure out how to move my ignition wire loom brackets. Why not put it in the pump? That is where the temp sensor is for the PCM.

WS6
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
What brackets are you using Scott? I am surprised they are interfering to begin with as even gen1s used that location for temp sensors.

Samckitt
07-27-2007, 03:44 AM
It is some brackets that I made. I am going to redo them so I can put the temp sensor where it is supposed to be.