PDA

View Full Version : I want air on my 58 Nomad

shmoov69
07-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Ok, got a few questions about doing air on my 58. First off, the Vintage Air catalog doesn't have a "kit" for my car, or any 58 for that matter.
Next, is it worth the trouble to ba$tardize a kit together from OEM stuff (any model/year) to make it work and work efficently?
Next, (this is the good one!) is there any way to keep the factory generator and be able to power the system? I want the engine compartment to look as stock as possible but still have the goods! The generator has the power steering pump on the back of it also.
Next, if you say no on the above Q, what are the other options? And why did they have A/C as an option when they used generators?
From some of the other post's here, it seems that there is several people here that knows A/C systems and what I would need to do to make it work.
Thanks!!

ProTouring442
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
For my dad's '56 we wanted to use factory stuff as the evaporators are larger. We used componants from Novas and Camaro/Firebirds for the evaporator cases, evaporator, etc. For the compressor, we used a late mdel Corvette, but the old GM inline compressor might work best for your application. Lines are pretty easy to have made once you get the ends. You can pick up a book with pics/specs of the fittings from someplace like Napa.

If you get the generator rebuilt to be a high output unit, as long as you don't go crazy with the add-ons, you should be ok, just make sure you get the proper fuse for the generator. This is so that, if you throw a belt, the generator doesn't become an electric motor and over heat the harness and start a fire.

Hope this helped! Here is a pic of my dad's install.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/06/7274053-1.jpg

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

shmoov69
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
thanks for the response Bill. I did have the generator rebuilt here in town and it was supposed to be put to as high as he could get it. So you are saying that junkyard-ing a system will work ok?
Anyone else?
Thanks.

ProdigyCustoms
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Jimmy, I called VA today r you. We are pretty sure we can get A Gen IV Magnum in there. We need to do some measurements. The generator will have to go. Call me to discuss all this

fou zero seven 832 1752

TD509EFI
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Powermaster does have a retro style "generator", but it doesn't support the back mounted power steering pump.
http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

John

shmoov69
07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks. I may try to put a one wire down low out of sight and paint it black or something. Or maybe even off the driveshaft.