PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging a IL6

LowBuckX
12-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Im asking this for a friend that has a vega he is putting a trailblazer EFI IL6 in.

He wants to know.
1) Who to contact to have the computer worked over.
2) Who he could contact to size a turbo for him
3) Where can he find a rotating assembly to handle 500 Flywheel HP with boost. (assuming 500hp is attainable with the stock block and heads)

Thanks...

protour_chevelle
12-30-2004, 10:24 AM
2) any turbo company. Phone them up and tell them your application then they will size one up for you.

3) Call the popular rotating companies. Scat. Callies. etc.

-Matt

andrewb70
12-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Your going to have a hard time finding anyone that can tune that computer. It is not the same one that is used on the V8s, so software tuning solutions like HP Tuners will not work. I saw something in Hot Rod mag that was talking about a turbocharder I6, and they were going to use Big Stuff 3. Precision Turbo should be able to help you size a turbo as well as help with the BG3.

GM has been running that engine in various off road competitions, so you should be able to locate durable rotating assembly parts. Sounds like a neat project. I have a 2002 Trailblazer, so I am curious to see what you do with that engine.

Andrew

jakespeeds
12-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Ditch the computer and go with a Megasuirt setup. I use Innovative turbo for all my stuff. Never done any wrong.

Jake

12-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Im asking this for a friend that has a vega he is putting a trailblazer EFI IL6 in.

He wants to know.
1) Who to contact to have the computer worked over.
2) Who he could contact to size a turbo for him
3) Where can he find a rotating assembly to handle 500 Flywheel HP with boost. (assuming 500hp is attainable with the stock block and heads)

Thanks...
The computer would be best changed to BS3.
Presicion Turbo
You only need to change the pistons. The crank and rods will go there without problem.

Kurt

Matt
12-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Use a GM 749 computer, same one as the typhoon...
For the rotating assembly, I have no idea...and the turbo kit shouldn't be hard to figure. I'd guess something around a high 60 to low 70mm with a high AR, something around 1.0

andrewb70
12-31-2004, 09:15 AM
The Vortec 4200 is an inline 6 engine with DOHC, coil-on-plug ignition, variable cam timing. How do you propose using a Typhoon computer?

Andrew

jakespeeds
12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
AEM offers a ECU for any 93 thru 97 Toyota Supra turbo that has all the same items. I wonder if it could be made to work using a Supra engine harness spliced to a GM harness. This would allow tuning with a simple laptop.

Jake

protour_chevelle
12-31-2004, 10:57 AM
When pulling the motor apart for new pistons...Run ARP fasteners in the motor. I'd really only be worried about the rods. You could do the whole bottom end just to be sure.

-Matt

zbugger
12-31-2004, 11:11 AM
I would go with Kurt's suggestion. I have an idea that he knows a little something here.

OHCbird
01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Yep- Kurt would been on the 'informed' side...
Precision makes many of the best 4-liter family turbos out there. Look at most of the GNs out there- most are PT turbos, or something modeled after one.

I've done alot of research on this, as I'm building a 4.1+ turbo for my 68. I have some guys on my website who have built a 4.2 vortechs, so stop by if ya like. We're mainly focused on the old Pontiac OHC6, but there are a few Vortech guys there.

Pratt & Miller built the Pikes Peak trailblazer, and it made 660whp. From what I recall, all they did was change the rods. The bottom end on those is pretty so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

LowBuckX
01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
If I remember correctly the Pikes peak racer was 5.0L So there woulda had t be some bore stroke changes.

I will pass on all this Info. Thanks keep it going I will keep looking back

OHCbird
01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
yup-5.0; I was thinking of a 4.2 TT project one of the Vortech engineers had built. The 5.0 was a full-custom bottom end.

Any progress?

andrewb70
01-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Does anyone have any links to website that feature build ups of these engines?

Thanks,
Andrew

rancherlee
02-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Bottom end should be fairly strong from the factory, All Inline 6's are as they are the perfect engine design and not a compromise like V-engines are. I seen a few turbo 4.2L's around the 500hp mark on the internet. I'm currently Turbo charging my Ford 300-6 in my pickup truck.

JL8Jeff
02-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Will an inline 6 fit in a Vega? That would be a really tight squeeze.

BoostedLT5
03-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Just as a side note i remember a few years ago that motor trend ran a story on a twin turbo 4.2 L trailblazer. It had 400hp, was all wheel drive, and ran 0-60 in about 5.2 seconds. When asked why the engineers wanted 400 hp they replied "because it was a nice even number, and there is plenty more where that came from." So now if we can just get GM to build it......

andrewb70
03-04-2005, 10:40 AM
GM is going to build it. It will be called a TrailBlazer SS. 2 wheel drive only and it will have an LS2. No doubt the twin turbo TrailBlazer of a few years ago served as a testbed for the rest of the driveline. Isn't the HP rating of an LS2...gee...400HP...Nice even number.

Andrew

Chevy454
06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Sorry I'm late to the game, but...

Smithracecraft.com (and maybe Wheel 2 Wheel?) had a hand in building a '67 Chevy II wagon with a turbo'd I6 engine in it, that ran in the Pump Gas Drags in Memphis...according to a thread (http://forums.hotrod.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8208&an=0&page=0#8208) over at the Hot Rod forum, that thing pumped out 950+ horsepower *on pump gas* and 15 pounds of boost. I watched this car run in Memphis, and it went high-8's, low-9's if I remember correctly, and was a crowd favorite (as well as MY personal favorite). In fact, it was the inspiration for our current project, an original '71 Yenko Vega with a turbo'd 4-banger (Ecotec?)...

suh weet
08-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I know 505 performance has a set-up for the Colorado truck, it isn't listed on their site. You may want to try them. Well, I just saw how old this was. What did you end up with?

ty1295
08-16-2005, 07:37 AM
I would agree BS3 is nice if the funds are available. ~$1800

If you on a budget I would look at megasquirt 2nd. It is much cheaper and seems to have as many if not more options. ~$300

3rd would be the 749 mentioned. I know that ecm all too well. Cheap, but be prepared for heavy learning curve and lots of figuring out how to make things work.

Novaguy65
07-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to pass along more info for anybody interested in this engine. The one in the Nova was built by Glen at Self Racing Engines (www.selfracing.com (http://www.selfracing.com)). They are awesome. They put together the rotating assembly and built the gorgeous intake. I have been talking to Glen about my project:evil:. We are working together on it. I also have some links for other information on this engine/swap if anybody is interested. There have been major leaps in the electronic end of this swap. People have gotten them OEM ECM to work with some programming and hacking. Otherwise the aftermarket stuff works great too. Well, have a great day and I will be glad to help in anyway I can, I am still learning with this motor(just getting started), but will share what I can.

Greg