PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on what to do about frame rot.

aggressive male
07-21-2007, 04:29 AM
I have a couple of small rot holes in the front third of my frame and I always find a lot of large loose rust flakes on the inside of my frame. I know some of you might say "get another frame" but where I live if I am lucky enough to be able to find a car with a frame close enough to be able to use it will either be just as bad or not much better. I'm looking for advice on good ways to deal with this constant rust problem I have? Thanks

chopshopcustoms
09-23-2007, 04:51 AM
I have a couple of small rot holes in the front third of my frame and I always find a lot of large loose rust flakes on the inside of my frame. I know some of you might say "get another frame" but where I live if I am lucky enough to be able to find a car with a frame close enough to be able to use it will either be just as bad or not much better. I'm looking for advice on good ways to deal with this constant rust problem I have? Thanks
If you are gping to go the way of least expensive,clean it up as best you can (and that is REALLY time consuming) and then throw something on it to protect it- Id also suggest not keeping it out side if you do now- the condensation just makes it worse.

Charley Lillard
09-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Where do you live and what kind of car is it ?

aggressive male
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
If you are gping to go the way of least expensive,clean it up as best you can (and that is REALLY time consuming) and then throw something on it to protect it- Id also suggest not keeping it out side if you do now- the condensation just makes it worse.Thanks, thats what I've been doing to the outside of it with an air chisel, drill with a wire wheel and then por-15. Now I have to figure out what to do about the inside of the frame. I keep it inside a portable garage.

aggressive male
09-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Where do you live and what kind of car is it ?I live in massachusetts. The car is a 77 caddy coupe deville so the middle of the frame is c section I can reach.

hectore3
09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks, thats what I've been doing to the outside of it with an air chisel, drill with a wire wheel and then por-15. Now I have to figure out what to do about the inside of the frame. I keep it inside a portable garage.

I am in Massachusetts also and I hear you buddy. Try going to Home Depot/Lowes get small towel mounted on a stick. Drill a hole in the handle and fish the POR-15 through the closed section of frame if you need to. Just make sure you buy enough material to complete the POR-15's application steps. Good luck.

KreativeBodyWerks
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
The best thing which i have found to do is go to your local automotive paint store and buy a product call chassis saver. You can put it right over the rust and it will never come back through!!! You can spray it, or you can put it on with a brush... As for the rot holes grind them down really good and weld them up.. you should be good