PDA

View Full Version : BBC oil leak

DLinson
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I've got an anoying oil leak in my BB Chevy. It looks like the oil is coming out of the front seal around the Harmonic balancer or the front of the oil pain gasket. There may be some small oil seapage around the front china wall under the intake. It appears to only leak after heavy acceleration runs over 4500 rpm up to 6500 rpm.

I'm thinking it is a crank case pressure problem. Both valve covers have breathers. I do not have a PCV valve in the valve covers. Will the addition of the PCV valve help? I would have put one in already except that it is going to take some fabrication. The vavle covers don't have a hole for the PCV valve and I don't want to add it to the top of the valve cover.

The harmonic balancer is a new fluidamper and the engine is a fresh rebuild so the seals are new. The oil pan gasket is the one piece silicone style gasket.

Dennis

MonzaRacer
07-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Dang it why must everyone forget we are in the 21 century, double breathers are for old low compression cars.
Pu a PCV valve in for christ sake. If you dont evacuate across the crank case you can and will create too much preassure and blow oil out.
also if you value your bearings I have had serious problems with Fluiddampers, been seeing bearing damage.
I am now an ATI Super Damper user/dealer so to speak (well I sell about 250 a year,,,still never get a decent break on price but I do like thier quality and effectivness.
But thats me.
Also if you didnt have the Fluiddamper honed to proper size , use some Ultra Black silicone or anaerobic sealer inside the balancer it can leak through the key way too.
Good luck
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE