PDA

View Full Version : Seats, belts and bars?

Rileys68Camaro
07-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Upon reading several threads, I'm more confused than ever.

Safety is a big factor, but I don't plan on doing much more than freeway speeds, and highly doubt I'll ever have the money to build a 10 second streetable car out of my 68 Coupe, and 120mph is only a dream.

I'm looking for cruising around town and some road trips with the normal bumps, and twisties. Basic Power Tour stuff. If it runs fast, I'll upgrade.

My question is, can someone recommend a minimum? I'd like to put a roll bar in with a cross bar for harnesses, maybe a four point cage.

However, for now, I'm going to start with 3 point seatbelts and could use some recomendations on belts and seats that will work well together and be safe.

I see that Summit seats aren't recommended for saftey, but I was going to put them in to drive the car then upgrade. However, it sounds like they may be more of a waste than I thought.

So, at a minimum, what brands do you recommend for the seats and harnesses? I know a lot of good welders for a bar at least but may have to travel for a cage job.

Do I need to spend $400+ a seat to get safe seats? If so, I will. Are there good quality safe 3 point belt makers our there? If I do go cage or rollbar, the upper point will probably be mounted to the bar rather than stock.

I don't want to get crushed in a non cage car, nor do I want to bounce my head off 3 steel tubes in a low speed crash.

Thanks guys!

SicMonte
07-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Well I will tell you what I did...and what I wished I didnt do. I put a 6 point cage in my monte carlo for strength and for harnesses. I had a corbeau fixed back seat on the drivers side with a 5 point harness. Fit nice and it felt really cool...but wasnt for the street at all!! So I got some jegs "sport" seats and some g-force pro harnesses. In my car, I had to use the corbeau seat tracks to get the jegs seats to fit right. I love the jeg seats, they fit nice, very comfortable and look killer. BUT I can see where they are not the best for safety as they are a lil bit flimsy and you can just tell they arent made all that well. So I do wish I saved a lil more and got some nicer seats. The harnesses I got are the best ones I have ever used.

Hope this helped.