PDA

View Full Version : What would your work bench be able to do?

rb70383
07-16-2007, 05:53 AM
I picked up a 11' tall pallet rack that is about 30" deep and the shelves are 7'10" wide. I also have half of another rack. The guy got rid of them after he used what he needed to build his workbench. There is enough for me to build a bench and even real heavy duty shelving. My question is, if you were designing a workbench what/how would you do it? Also what tools are good to mount to a bench and which others should be mounted on a seperate stand. With some organization I ccan maybe finally start making some good progress.:fingersx:

Chad-1stGen
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Well IMO size (both amount of tablespace and height) and load bearing ability are at the top of the list. After that shelving/storage utility under the bench.

Mounted grinders and a vice are the most common items bolted down to a bench that I've seen.

pdq67
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Years ago, my ol' RR Buddy built a work bench out of a concrete blocks and a piece of white oak native lumber slab that measured 2.5" thick x 26" wide x 20' long!

Talk about a poor Country Boy's work bench!

He was helping his Uncle Don cut lumber using a big JD field tractor as the power unit for the saw mill and his Uncle gave him the slab for helping him..

pdq67