PDA

View Full Version : No more MMC tubing for driveshafts?

EFI69Cam
07-12-2007, 07:19 AM
I called Dennys and Dynotech. Both said no more, and they don't know when or if it will become available.

Anyone know anything about this?

Samckitt
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Dummy here, what is MMC tubing?

Nevermind: Metal Matrix Composite

In the late sixties, the government gave UCLA research labs a grant to develop a material that would replace aluminum. The material needed to be stiffer and stronger than aluminum, lighter than aluminum with no fatigue life. To achieve these results they developed a material - boron carbide ceramic metal matrix. They used boron carbide, the hardest known material next to a diamond. When boron carbide is mixed with aluminum it significantly strengthens and stiffens the aluminum. They also developed a process to make this new material. The process yielded a mechanical bond vs. a chemical bond, which is most commonly used. They mechanically combined aluminum, boron carbide, titanium, nickel zinc and copper. They reduced all elements to a 4 micron dust and then mixed them in a jet mill. This provided a homogeneous mixture of all the elements. They then compressed this mixture using a cold isostatic press to form a powder billet. They made various components from the billet, e.g., seats for the Apache helicopter. Griffen takes the billet and extrudes it to make tubing.

Chad-1stGen
07-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes more useless knowledge to impress my friends with :p

Yelcamino
07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Does (or did) Denny's use MMC for their Nitrous Ready shafts?

EFI69Cam
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Does (or did) Denny's use MMC for their Nitrous Ready shafts?

No those are cro-moly. The MMC shafts were a lightweight option priced between 6061 Al and carbon fiber.

Yelcamino
07-13-2007, 02:52 AM
No those are cro-moly. The MMC shafts were a lightweight option priced between 6061 Al and carbon fiber.

Ok. When I bought my NR shaft from Denny's, I asked what it was made out of and was told it's nothing I've heard of, proprietory stuff. Considering it wasn't as light as I expected it to be, I figured it was cro-moly and the sales guy was telling me BS.