PDA

View Full Version : Really good shocks

Rantheman
07-11-2007, 05:32 PM
so i currently have kyb gas mono shocks that i never used. So i am thinking while i still can easly to change them for something else anyone have recomendations in shocks. I have a 65 pro touring chevelle project. that I hope to get good cornering capabilty out of.

Randy

Marcus SC&C
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
REALLY GOOD shocks? Penske 8760 triple adj. with remote reservoirs are great but run about $1100ea. Penske 7500 series or Bilstein GN3 series will get you a good adj. racing shocks for around $400ea. Most people find these options to be a bit on the pricey side.
The least expensive quality knob adj. aluminum shocks we`ve found with good durability and consistent valving are Alston Varishocks for about $177ea. for single adj. or $314ea. for double adj. Most folks make out really well with the single adj. version.
Cheaper than that but still good are Bilstein and Koni OE replacement non adj. shocks for around $70-$80ea. Koni also has an old school take-it-off-the-car-to-adjust-it version but they`re only 3 setting and they`re a PITA to work with. Mark SC&C

Jeremy
07-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I have the double adjustable alstons (purchased from SC&C BTW) and am very pleased with them. They have proven to be very consistent in adjustments and as I get closer to the sweet spot, it is amazing the difference one click makes.

They did require some record keeping as far as charting the ride and handling with different settings.

I could not have gotten my suspension dialed in without them.

Lowend
07-12-2007, 05:59 PM
What Mark said

rattus
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I really like the potential of Varishocks as reliable stock mount adjustable dampers, however I haven't found much feedback on their adequacy at the track.

IIRC I've seen D. Pozzi mention that he's had reasonable "on track" success with QA1 adjustables. Given that Varishocks are higher quality they may be the ticket.

As far as I can tell, Penske and Bilstein adjustable shocks are not available in stock mount configurations, but it could be possible to have them custom made ($$$).

Bilstein (mono tube non-adjustable) dampers appear tried an true and can be re-valved at the factory but there is a min three week turn around (not such a good option for trial and error tuning). An option could be to get two sets to buffer the revalving turn around time. Two sets plus revalving fees would quickly add up to the cost of Varishocks.

If Varishocks' track viability equals that of Bilstein monotubes then ultimately Varishocks would be the better value.

Marcus SC&C
07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
We have a few auto cross and track day clients who have switched from Bilstein and Koni fixed valving shocks (and QA1s) to Varishocks with really good results. This due mostly to the fact that the out of the box non adj. shocks were underdampened for their spring rates and application of course (and the QA1s faded in long sessions and had inconsistant valving). One of the best indicators may be two clients who won 1st place in GrandSport at the BigBend open course road race in Texas about 6 weeks ago. The race is 60 miles long in each direction and they reach top speeds in the 160mph range. Switching from a Stage 1 to a Stage 2, Currectrac rear arms for the other aftermarket arms that were on it and going from mono tube Bilsteins to Varishock QS1s took them from last years 5th place to this years 1st place (in a G body vs. modified C5s etc.!). They reported that the shocks felt exactly the same at the end of the race as at the begining. It`s a true street car too with carpets,comfy seats,cruise control,AC etc. so it sees a fair amount of hard street miles too. Mark SC&C