PDA

View Full Version : II Much update

parsonsj
07-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Road Atlanta showed some areas in the car that needed improvement, so I've been a little busy getting the car ready for a Sebring event in August.

I've swapped springs (200 to 250 in back, 475 to 550 in front), power steering pumps (to a TurnOne Saginaw unit), front wheel bearings (front right had failed), and set the front suspension into track mode. Katz's design has dual modes up front (street and track). Track mode has more camber gain, but also more side scrub.

I also put in more static camber (1.5 degrees).

I just got back from a low speed test (never went faster than 70 mph). Turn in is explosive. I really need to pay attention, or I change lanes and drive on sidewalks. It's almost twitchy. I gotta check the toe settings ...

The brakes are rock solid and feel great. I think I finally have them sorted out. The problem was wheel bearing play causing knockback. I was blaming my pedal linkage, but that wasn't the case.

Steering is the same as before, so we'll see how it holds up this weekend at the MSCC autoX event. That's where I'll find out if I need a ps cooler.

jp

6'9"Witha69
07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Sounds awesome John. Glad to hear the brakes are in check now. Let us know how she does.

BTW, which compound are you running on your pads?

David Sloan
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
If i show up can i ride shot gun again! LOL!!

wendell
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
At Road ATL, what sort of tire temps are you seeing? I'm interested to hear how a relatively light car deals with the big tires? Good to hear the car is sorting well. Keep at it.

silver69camaro
07-11-2007, 11:42 AM
At Road ATL, what sort of tire temps are you seeing? I'm interested to hear how a relatively light car deals with the big tires? Good to hear the car is sorting well. Keep at it.

I'm curious too. Art's Vette was pretty tough to put some decent heat into the tires. Never have gotten them fully warmed up to date.

parsonsj
07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
at Road ATL, what sort of tire temps are you seeing? I don't know. I didn't have a tire pyrometer to check the temps. All I can say is the outside edges of both front tires was warmer than the inside edge, as checked the instant I brought the car to a stop and jumped out. They had time to cool a bit, but not much.

The outside edge was "comfortable" to the touch. I didn't need to pull my hand away to keep the skin from burning. The brakes, on the other hand, were way too hot to touch.

Does that help?

Oh, and and the car isn't very relatively light. :( It weighs 3300 lbs with me in it.

jp

ps. Still checking on brake pads. They are the default pads on the Wilwood kits. I haven't changed them.

Larry Callahan
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
If i show up can i ride shot gun again! LOL!!

I want video if you do!

Mean 69
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Sebring ought to "shake things up!" Never been there, but I don't need to have, just watch the 12 hour race and you can see how violent the bumps are. I am sure you probably will, but I'd bring four jackstands and give the car a thorough nut-bolt between rounds, at minimum on the critical areas. This said, knowing that your car is still new, an ounce of prevention.....

Nice to see you enjoying it and playing around with it, learning what it responds to in terms of changes, etc. I seem to recall that you had an issue with the construction of the rack brackets, I think I read that by accident it ended up in the wrong fore-aft location, which would affect Ackerman. Knowing Katz, he probably designed for a good amount of Ackerman, in which case you can easily get away with straight ahead-to- slight toe-in, and have terrific turn-in. With reduced Akcerman, many folks resort to a slight toe-out, which can help initial turn-in, but can also make the car very, very twitchy.

Very interested to see the results of the power steering pump, etc, I'll be in this boat here very soon too (i.e. LS based motor, no experience with the compatible p/s pumps), though it'll be with a box in lieu of that gorgeous Woodward rack unit you run. I'd really like to be able to adapt a KRC pump, have you looked into that possiblity?

Thumbs up, cool to see the progress!!!
Mark

parsonsj
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm running Wilwood Q compound pads. Just an ordinary street style pad.

Mark, I've heard about the bumpy track at Sebring. A local guy with hundreds of laps there says the bumpy part is only in the "legacy" sections. Anyway, it really takes good shock setup to keep from skipping around on those areas, yet still have proper valving for the rest of the track. All I know to do is to set my QA1s 2 clicks softer. I'll let folks know how that worked out.

I didn't have any setup problems with my rack placement. I did weld the front crossmember 1 inch too far forward. A slight redesign of the LCA and using a thinner steel rack adapter instead of the thicker aluminum allowed me to regain 1/4". But my wheelbase is 110.75 inches, whereas stock Novas come in at 110. So Ackerman wasn't affected (as far as I know).

I found 1/8" toe out felt really good in the street setting. The car feels like there is more than that now. I'm gonna check it out tonight.

As far as power steering pumps go, I think the KRC is based on a Saginaw casting. As is the C5 pump. So you can use the KRC with the C5 accessory drive brackets, or use a Wegner/ATS/VintageAir. All are based on that basic Saginaw casting.

If this TurnOne pump still has issues, then I'll add a cooler. If I still have issues, I'll swap over to a KRC and remote reservoir.

jp

parsonsj
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Sure enough: I was driving around with 3/8" toe out. That'll make for some quick turn in. :eek:

jp

novanutcase
07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
MAN!!! I can't wait to get to your stage!!!:headbang:

John

David Pozzi
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Good luck John! I think you will need the PS cooler sooner or later...
David

69Nova
07-12-2007, 04:47 AM
John- Sebring in August? Need any help??

parsonsj
07-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Andrew,

I'd love to have some help. It's on the 25th. Right now I'm 5th on the waiting list for the Novice class. They tell me I should make it in, but I won't know for sure until the week before.

jp

69Nova
07-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Andrew,

I'd love to have some help. It's on the 25th. Right now I'm 5th on the waiting list for the Novice class. They tell me I should make it in, but I won't know for sure until the week before.

jp

As of right now it shouldnt be too hard to change my schedual and get off of work. I'd have no problem doing whatever I can to help out.

silver69camaro
07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm running Wilwood Q compound pads. Just an ordinary street style pad.

Those are OK if you want minimal brake dust, but that's about it. I swapped mine out for a J pad. MUCH better!!

parsonsj
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Those are OK if you want minimal brake dust, but that's about it. I swapped mine out for a J pad. MUCH better!!I couldn't care less about brake dust. I'll do the same. Thanks!

jp

parsonsj
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Damn. No J pads available for my calipers (Wilwood type 7416 front, type 7112 back). How does BP-20 stack up against the J?

jp

6'9"Witha69
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I just put BP-20s on and they are GREAT (compared to BP-10) and are much more fade resistant. Not as good as an A compound or a Perterfield R-4, but those are race compounds which destroy rotors during street driving. I keep my R-4 pads for the track. If porterfield had called me back I would have tried the R-4S pad as it is supposedly comparable to if not better than the BP-20.

silver69camaro
07-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Damn. No J pads available for my calipers (Wilwood type 7416 front, type 7112 back). How does BP-20 stack up against the J?

jp

Oh, you have the thin pads. Neither the Q or BP-10/20 pads have anywhere near the friction of the J pad. Seeing as that J's are not available for your calipers, go with the H pad. The downside is they are more aggressive on the rotors than the street compounds. IMO, it's worth it.

parsonsj
07-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Maybe use BP-20s for street/autocross use and swap to Hs for track days?

jp

wendell
07-12-2007, 07:15 PM
3300# makes sence. I don't know why I thought it would be lighter. Lately I've been seeing cases of too much tire for a given car. I'm not even talking about PT type cars but dedicated race cars. In many cases if a tire isn't in it's operating temp, the size is irrelevent. I have no reason to believe that's the case with IIMuch but it's got me interested. I'd like to hear an update when you can. Where is your pyrometer?!!! It's the key to victory. Regardless, it's great to hear you're out on track keeping it real.

silver69camaro
07-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Maybe use BP-20s for street/autocross use and swap to Hs for track days?

jp

That could work. Try and take some temps at your rotors if you can, that would determine if you need a BP10 or a 20. 20's start to work well over 500*, while the 10's have a fairly constant Cf over the temperature range. BP-10's Cf starts out higher than the 20's at cold temps, which makes them nice for big rotors on the street.

One thing to think about is how well a H pad will bed to a rotor that was previously used with a different pad. Might want to call Wilwood to find out.

Mean 69
07-13-2007, 07:15 AM
I think calling Wilwood is a really good idea. I think an even better idea is to call Porterfield Brakes, at 949-548-4470. I did, and I came away impressed and completely satisfied. I had called a few other places (Hawk, etc) to find pads for a set of uncommon Alcon calipers I had. After several calls to brake shops that had never even heard of them, I tried Porterfield. A gal answered the phone, she was as knowledgable in her field as anyone I have ever talked to (I think her name is Wendy, wife/racer of Andy P?), she knew exactly what I had, and knew that the pad was a custom, made from another. I went with their R4S compound per her suggestion, with regard to the tracks, I run/street duty. They can undoubtedly help you too.

M

parsonsj
07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I think an even better idea is to call Porterfield Brakes, at 949-548-4470. Thanks Mark! I'll do that.

jp

silver69camaro
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Mark! I'll do that.

jp

Maybe I will too...

David Pozzi
07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I use the R4 pads on my Lola. Porterfield is one of the few places that has pads for the Girling caliper I use.

I put temp paint on my front rotors, - it disappeared!:hmm:

Damn True
07-14-2007, 11:33 AM
How much fun would that Lola be with modern brakes?

David Pozzi
07-14-2007, 05:02 PM
True, I could brake a TON harder! :)
I can brake pretty hard now, just not for more than a couple of laps. With the weight balance and traction I have, I could brake hard enough to throw you into the shoulder harness!