PDA

View Full Version : My next LSX based project!

Nine Ball
12-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry, not a pro-touring car, but still a fun project anyways.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Just some updates on the mystery blue 1LE Z28 in my signature, as I have finally chosen a direction for it. I've also commissioned a member on ls1tech to do a rendering of the car to put on an upcoming website dedicated to the project. The drawing above is just the initial sketch, rendering coming soon!

The car will be built to compete in our LS1TECH EFI Nationals Super Stock class. For those that don't follow the series/rules discussions, that is the stock displacement all-motor class. This year we are including the LS2 (6.0L) and hitting them with a minor weight penalty. So, my plans are to build an all-out LS2 based engine.

Good news is that I have the entire suspension and drivetrain figured out and ordered. The rolling chassis (plus tranny) should be completed pretty quickly, probably in the Feb time frame.

Suspension:
BMR K-member
BMR upper and lower A-arms
BMR Extreme Duty Torque Arm
BMR chromoly lower control arms
QA1 front coil over shocks (for now, probably go AFCO's or double adjustable QA1s later)
QA1 rear shocks
Billingsley drag race anti-roll bar
Wilwood lightweight front brakes, stock rear brakes.

Drivetrain:
TCI ultra-lightweight custom powerglide with Dedenbear case, gun drilled shafts, 1.96 first gear ratio, aluminum valvebody with pro tree transbrake. They claim this tranny only uses 7! hp to turn. (70 lbs lighter than TH400)
TCI custom 8" converter (5800-6000 rpm stall)
Billingsley Racing fabricated 9" rearend with gun drilled 35 spline axles, spool, custom shortened 2" per side, and 4.30 gears. (30 lbs lighter than regular 9")
Billingsley Racing heavy duty drag racing anti-roll bar

Chassis:
Wolfe Racecraft 10-point chromoly rollcage
Wolfe Racecraft custom subframe connectors

The remaining stuff is what I have planned:

Engine:
LS2 block, stock crankshaft, stock displacement
high compression, forged pistons
aftermarket rods
ARP hardware
Possibly AFR heads, but may go with LS6 heads.
FAST 90mm intake and t-body (already purchased)
solid roller cam setup
electric race style Mezziere water pump (already purchased)
Kooks 1-7/8 into 2" headers

Appearance:
Sunoco Camaro style cowl hood (VFN plans on making this soon)
SS rear wing
custom paint job Click HERE! (http://users.ev1.net/~ynot_dv8/98Camaro/paint01.jpg)
Bogart wheels

Goals:
3000 lbs raceweight (non-series form. I'd add weight for series racing)
9.70s short term, 9.50s long term (all-motor)
Keeping the car magazine feature quality - everywhere!
Eventually stepping up the car into the Super Mod class with a 427ci perhaps. Maybe when the LS7 comes out?

With a little luck, I might be able to have it running by our first event in April (at the Year One Commerce Challenge). If not, possibly the 2nd event.

I haven't decided on which shop will build the engine. I've had a few sponsors inquire about taking on the project, but I haven't put much time into dealing with the engine just yet. I've been focusing on getting the rolling chassis put together first.

Tony

JamesD
12-28-2004, 06:57 PM
sounds cool, do you know is VFN will ever make the front faschia, fenders or quarter panels, from the sunoco camaro?

Nine Ball
12-28-2004, 07:03 PM
They have no plans to make those items. We had to beg for the Sunoco hood. I get the first one :D

Ralph LoGrasso
12-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a bitchin' car, Tony!! Keep us updated, I love 4th gens almost as much as 1st gens :).

colt zantop
12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
sounds awesome. keep us udated with pics!!! I like the blue and silver paint too...sharp design!!!!