PDA

View Full Version : Alpine IDA-X001 [vs. Apline CDA 9883]

Ralph LoGrasso
07-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for opinions on both of these head units.

My intended use is the seamless control of an iPod through the head unit. I can no longer tolerate using FM transmitters or Cassette adapters and receiving diminished sound quality. Now, I had been planning on buying a new alpine head unit since last year when they introduced the speed cable hook-up that allows an iPod to be controlled directly through the head unit (i.e. using only the buttons on the head unit; the actual iPod can be hidden out of sight). I was originally planning on purchasing the Alpine CDA-9883 (or rather it's now discontinued predecessor) since it was relatively cheap ($199) and allowed use of the aforementioned iPod control (without an interface like most other head units had used).

Alpine CDA-9883:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/07/h500CDA9883f_d-1.jpeg

However, Alpine has recently introduced the IDA-X001 which is designed to work exclusively with an iPod (there is no CD player). Now, this is $200 more than the 9883, but it's also a much nicer unit. The simulated iPod display screen is a really nice feature, and almost worth the extra $200 in and of itself. The absence of a CD player is somewhat of a drawback for most, but I hardly ever listen to CDs anymore, considering my entire music collection is on my iPod; as such, this is not really a concern for me.

Alpine IDA-X001:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/07/h500iDAX001f_mt-1.jpeg

However, this is the first unit of its kind and I'm sure many revisions will follow. Does anyone know when its predecessor will be out? I'm guessing sometime around April '08. I’m not too concerned with revisions though, as I could always sell this unit and upgrade for a minor loss in a year or two.

So, does anyone have any experience with either head unit, but more specifically the IDA-X001? Any opinions on the subject from the audio gurus would be much appreciated, as I'm quite the novice. (The head unit will be installed into a ’02 Z06 with factory Bose sound system).

The features of both units are relatively similar, sans the CD player delete on the X001. Additionally, the IDA-X001 controls a fifth generation iPod with a USB cable, so the head unit acts as a simple bridge between them; this is another nice feature.

Specification comparison of CDA-9883 & IDA-X001 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wVFuQh6T4aY/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=300&c=3&s=0&cc=01&pt2=0&compareitems=500CDA9883&compareitems=500IDAX001&x=38&y=4)

I’m 98% certain that I’ll go with the IDA-X001.

Discuss.

bigblockcapri
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
go with the IDA-X001,
you can play mp3s from a usb stick.

chicane67
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Why not the IVA-D100 ??

Ralph LoGrasso
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
You mean this monster?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/07/h500iVAD100f_-1.jpeg

$1,000 is too rich for my blood. At that price, I'd try to go with a stationary Navigation/iPOD/DVD/etc screen mounted in the dash.

DarkoNova
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I've got a 9853. At least I think that's the number. It's a pretty nice unit for sure. Good sound quality and it's pretty simple to navigate through songs, albums, playlists, etc. The only downside is if you have a lot of songs be prepared for a lot of scrolling. There's no option to jump to specific letters. Only percentiles. Of the 6 face buttons, each one jumps forward something like 15%. Sounds good on paper, but I literally have over 10,000 songs (somewhere around 10,700) and sometimes it takes a good minute and a half to scroll through them to find the song.

Supposedly the new model is much faster at scrolling. I saw it in the latest Super Chevy (or some other mag, I forget) and I'd get it right now and put the 9853 in the Duster, except I plan to get Alpine's top-of-the-line dvd playing unit so I can put a computer in my car.

Anyway back on topic, lol. Depending on how many songs you have on your iPod, the older model is a good choice. I think I paid $250 for the price of the unit and installation, so it wasn't bad at all.

Matt

mattstang70
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
the ida-x001 is very nice, i actually played with it at mac world in sf and was very impressed. easy to navigate and your right the screen is worth the money in and of itself.

matt

chicane67
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Eleventybillion dollar brake system; nintyninemillion dollar wheels... and an el' cheap-o stereo. Touch screen scrolling rules !!

BTW, you can get it for $850 or so if you look in the right places.

rjp71
07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
The X001 is the best option for ipod control. Scrolling and such is a fast as on the ipod itself. Currently I have the 9835 and it is good if I am playing from palylists but searching for songs or albums takes too long.

The touch screen receivers are not as fast as the X001.

DarkoNova
07-10-2007, 09:02 PM
The X001 is the best option for ipod control. Scrolling and such is a fast as on the ipod itself. Currently I have the 9835 and it is good if I am playing from palylists but searching for songs or albums takes too long.

The touch screen receivers are not as fast as the X001.

Yeah I think that's the one I have. I gotta admit, even though I'm getting the top of the line Alpine a/v unit, I'm still worried about finding songs. I've heard touch screen scrolling still sucks badly. I'm hoping Alpine comes out with a newer unit soon but I doubt it. What I plan to do though is get the a/v unit and then get a Mac Mini since it's the smallest computer I've seen. Then just put all my songs on the computer's hard drive and use that to play the songs through my head unit. I'll figure out a way to control the computer. Probably use a Powermate mounted right in the middle of the console.

Matt

rjp71
07-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Here is a website where they put a mac mini in a jeep. http://www.classicresto.com/ A couple years ago they had put one in a Nova but I couldn't find it. Dig around their site and maybe you can find it.

One other thing you should consider is that I have heard bad things about computers in cars and long term reliability. A regular computer is not designed to withstand the temperature extremes and vibrations it will see in a car. It is just something to think about.

DarkoNova
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah I remember reading about a 70-71 Nova that put a Mini in the glovebox.

I didn't think of the vibrations, but I have plans to keep it cool.

Matt

Z06killinSBF
07-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Why not the IVA-w205??

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/07/h500iVAW205f-1.jpeg

Ralph LoGrasso
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
So, I just purchased the Alpine IDA-X001 from Crutchfield for my '02 Z06. The head unit comes with all the necessary stuff, wiring harness, mounting plate, etc.

However, the wiring harness that crutchfield supplies does not have provisions for the 8" woofer in the door. With their wiring harness, you lose those speakers. Losing them is not an option for me, as I'm trying to improve my stereo, not diminish it.

Does anyone know of a wiring harness that I can purchase that will allow me to keep the subs in the door?

Or, will I be forced to try to splice and wire them myself?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ralph

Jims78elky
07-19-2007, 09:04 PM
So, I just purchased the Alpine IDA-X001 from Crutchfield for my '02 Z06. The head unit comes with all the necessary stuff, wiring harness, mounting plate, etc.

However, the wiring harness that crutchfield supplies does not have provisions for the 8" woofer in the door. With their wiring harness, you lose those speakers. Losing them is not an option for me, as I'm trying to improve my stereo, not diminish it.

Does anyone know of a wiring harness that I can purchase that will allow me to keep the subs in the door?

Or, will I be forced to try to splice and wire them myself?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph,

You probably already checked this,but I have used these guys
for years..and they might have a option for your Z06.Crutchfield
is a great company,and I used to order from them all the time and
from what I have experienced with them is they don't always have
exactly everything you need..in some installations.I hope this works
out for you,give them a look see and they might have what you need.

http://www.scosche.com/what_fits.aspx

Good Luck!

-Jim

dannyho
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I can't find any z06 speaker wiring diagrams, but if it really is an 8 inchwoofer in the door, its powered by a factory amplifier and only the factory headunit can connect to it. they don't have RCA input like standard amps do. a headunit wouldn't be right for it for a few reasons . In order to get factory subs to work you would have to add a separate amplfier to run them. It's not a big deal, just running a whole bunch of wires, but If you're going that route I'd recommend replacing your factory subs too with better ones that would fit. (I can give you the number of a shop that will help you pick you in choosing components, its free :jump: )
Also, it's probably not going to take long to realize that the factory speakers aren't up to the task of taking the power from that headunit. they're usually way underrated, even the best bose and infinity systems I've pulled had cheapo paper cone speakers. upgrading a stereo con get pricey quick, but if you get a small sub amp you could probably use it to power those stock subs, but it's not what I would do.

enjoy!
Dan

audioman
07-28-2007, 08:11 AM
There are many radio's out there that have I-pod control.
Pioneer
Alpine
JVC
Panasonic
Clarion
Kenwood

I like the units that will also do Ipod video.
I sell the Panasonic Double Din and flipout because they will do Ipod audio and video.

check Panasonic's out at
www.floridamarketinggroup.com (http://www.floridamarketinggroup.com)