PDA

View Full Version : Are KYB's really that bad?

CamaroJesse
07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
i want to get the bilsteins but they are too much for my budget right now. i get a hook up on KYB's so should i go wth those then get bilsteins later? if kyb's are just fine ill just get those. wehat do you think?

thanks
Jesse

vanzuuk1
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, they are that bad.

6'9"Witha69
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
That bad!

eville
07-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Worse.

TPI Monte SS
07-07-2007, 06:42 AM
You can get Bilsteins through Autozone for about $60/piece, which is not really expensive. I'm not sure why some vendors choose to mark them up $15-30 a piece. I just put 'em on my Jeep and paid under $250 shipped to my house for all four from the 'Zone.

68sixspeed
07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
kyb= :drive2:

CamaroJesse
07-07-2007, 08:33 AM
How are koni shocks?

Rantheman
07-07-2007, 02:05 PM
you see i have kyb mono shocks on my chevelle but i bough them a decade ago now there is more to offer in a shock i will end up trading mine in or tossing them know on my mustang i had kyb AGx shock those were great but thats it.

LowBuckX
07-07-2007, 02:41 PM
If Bilsteins fit my budget they should fit anyones..lol Autozone $75 each.. Im not going to knock KYBs though I know a few people running them with no issues and the price is nice. Price is not a guide on everything

OneslowZ28
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Bilsteins would be my choice!

NOVA
07-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Anyone got a crossover guide from KYB'S to Bilsteins? I would like to try them,but I have run KYB;S on my Nova (2nd set?) doesnt seem so bad? but I have never had Bilsteins so I am not sure what to expect?

Bandit
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Shocks are one of the most important components of your suspension system! If you skimp there, you might as well forget getting any results out of any other parts you may have installed. If it were me, and I couldn't afford the Bilsteins, I would sideline the whole project while saving up for the good shocks. Why waste money on cheap shocks only to spend even more on good shocks later?

zbugger
07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
My view is, KYB's are ok for a worn stock type suspension. Any upgrades and you may be better off upgrading. I ran them on my stock sagging suspension in my '77 Camaro and I know with the new Hotchkis stuff it's gonna be horrible. I may be stuck with it till I can afford something else.

6'9"Witha69
07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
The ride on KYBs is bouncy and overall terrible. Simply using Bilsteins can wake up the suspension. ANd hell, they aren't even at the top of the shock food chain, but for the money, are the best place to start.

Lowend
07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
You get what you pay for... KYB's just plain suck on most muscle car applications

pitts64
07-09-2007, 02:50 PM
My KYBs leaked. I replaced them with cheep Monroes before buying my Bilstines and the Monroes were better!

Tony_SS
07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Went from Monroe's to Bilsteins... HUGE improvement. Pony up for them, you'll be glad you did.

ssracer8
07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
How about the Koni's from DSE? I was just getting ready to order a set for my 68 Camaro.

vintageracer
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
How important are shock abosorbers?

Consider the following facts: Most professional race car shock abosrobers cost between $1,000-$4000 each. Each racing team will employee at least 1 dedicated shock abosorber engineer. Each team will have multiple shock abosorber dynomometers for shock abosorber testing and setup. The teams will inventory multiple SETS of differently valved shocks absorbers. Race teams will change shock abosorbers many more times than springs during on-track testing to get the car to handle to their desire. Do not forget all the other suspension fine tuning ability that shock abosorbers provide to suspension tuning and you now can get the picture of just how important shocks absorbers are in tuning the handling/performance of a race car AND most importantly YOUR CAR!

For whatever reason, shock abosorbers seem the be the ONE area in a street car owners suspension rebuild and amatuer race car owner's suspension where EVERYONE wants to go cheap when building their car.

Bad mistake!

fast Ed
07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I can't comment on Konis for GM applications, but I've been very pleased with them in my 87 Mustang 5.0 track car, my T-Bird SC, and the Koni Classics we put in my 68 Cougar (which replaced KYBs). My old car rides fantastic, even on 45-series 18" rubber, and handling is flat, with only small upgrades to the springs and stab. bar.

cheers
Ed N.

pitts64
07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I like my Bilstines. My favorite stretch of road (10 mile) bottoms out on a bridge and then goes back up. I can swoop down at 130-135 (4500 rpm 2.56 posi) hit the bridges expansion joint and my 4000 lb Bonneville stays in total control.

jeff s
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
We've put KYB on a bunch of cars including my Cadillac Attack, (Car Craft RSE champion) Also a bunch of Bilsteins.
I prefer Bilstein, they ride better and handle just as well.
When I built the Caddy, KYB fit my budget. Get your car done, you can change shocks later.

NOVA
07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Who in So Cal carries Bilsteins?
not looking for a national mail order suppliers,I am looking for so cal suppliers specifically.
Thank you.

6'9"Witha69
07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Hotchkis is in SoCal. SantaFe Springs to be specific.

Damn True
07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Nick,

Wont Guldstrand do custom valving on them? I thought I'd heard they did at least at one time.

SicMonte
07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is my shock history. Originally I had some bell tech nitro drop shocks...they werent bad. Put on some bilstiens up front and some adjustable Vari-Shocks in the rear. Front got a lil bit bouncy so I upped for some vari-shocks in the front. Now all four corners are leaking and I have had to send the "awesome" vari-shocks back to the factory to get them looked at. They are all less than a yeasr old with about 400 miles on the rears and only about 100 on the fronts. And guess what shocks I have on there now for the meantime...KYB and I coulnt be happier. They dont leak and dont ride that bad at all.

6'9"Witha69
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Nick,

Wont Guldstrand do custom valving on them? I thought I'd heard they did at least at one time.Yes. Something like $30 per shock or so.

JEFFTATE
07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
What about QA1 Carrera adjustable shocks ?

Skip Fix
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I've got some Guldstrand spec'd Bilsteins on my TA for the past 20 years! No leaks great cornering and at the drag strip better than drag shocks!

Not sure they were custom valved, just maybe a specific part number over "plain" Bilsteins.Looked like the tubes were pretty factory sealed.

One down side on my rears the threads weren't plated and the nut seized when taking them off, used soem anti seize and still doing good.

Damn True
07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Here is my shock history. Originally I had some bell tech nitro drop shocks...they werent bad. Put on some bilstiens up front and some adjustable Vari-Shocks in the rear. Front got a lil bit bouncy so I upped for some vari-shocks in the front. Now all four corners are leaking and I have had to send the "awesome" vari-shocks back to the factory to get them looked at. They are all less than a yeasr old with about 400 miles on the rears and only about 100 on the fronts. And guess what shocks I have on there now for the meantime...KYB and I coulnt be happier. They dont leak and dont ride that bad at all.

I'm inclined to think that your Bilsteins were improperly valved for your spring rate.

WS6
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
To answer the question about koni's. They rock cause they are adjustable. Bilsteins are not adjustable. So either one will do fine for you. KYB's aren't bad but you get what you pay for.

chicane67
07-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Get your car done, you can change shocks later.

Ill second that !!

Who in So Cal carries Bilsteins?
not looking for a national mail order suppliers,I am looking for so cal suppliers specifically.

There are only two Bilstein Master WD's on the west coast. "ASI" in El Cajon and "Off Road Wherehouse" (Escondido; San Diego)... and I can tell you that everyone else gets their shocks through ASI (ASI; RD Enterprises; SHOX.com). The owner of ASI retired from Bilstein and has an exclusive Bilstein direct business. You cant really beat their pricing either... as they set the pricing structure for the rest of the country. I only know this because I worked for ASI back in 00-01 and ran their Motorsports division.

The only exclusions to this are Hotchkis and Gudlstrand. But however, they can only provide the shocks that they are supplied with from Bilstein directly and cannot really do custom valving. It would be easier to just send Bilstein your shocks and have them re-valve them to your specific needs/requirements.

Wont Guldstrand do custom valving on them? I thought I'd heard they did at least at one time.

No... unfortunately, they wont. But if they did... it would be no different than you calling up Bilstein and doing it through them. Guldstrand only offers specifc sets for use with their springs... Or, if you are an employee you can get a set thrown in. :headbang: I did... back in the early 90's when I ran Guldstrands, Special Projects division. That is where I started my venture on understanding vehicle dynamics and related kinematics and I did a lot of work with Bilstein... especially in the Corvette Challenge series and for the FX3 package.

Although, you can purchase a set from someone like SHOX.com and then call up Shane (at Bilstein) or if you know any of their former employee's that are now in the off road world... it can get them done pretty easily. Bilstein will do them for $50 a corner... or you can get them done for between $35 to 50 if you know one of the boys.

FWIW... QA1's suck. Their valving is more set up for stock spring rates.

To answer the question about koni's. They rock cause they are adjustable. Bilsteins are not adjustable. So either one will do fine for you. KYB's aren't bad but you get what you pay for.

Single adjustable... that is.

And in reality, their adjustability is more of a wear adjustment. That and they are not really valved for the elevated spring rates that a-lot of us here run. If you were to use a spring rate closer to that os stock... they work good. But, if you run anything 550-600 and up... you will need to leave them on full soft or they wont last too long.

Bilstein does offer several adjustable shocks... and yes, even for the first gen f-body. You just have to know what your doning and what you are ordering. But it wont be an off the shelf unit...

I do agree... that KYB's are not that bad, IF... if... you are using stock spring rates.