PDA

View Full Version : Head paint for aluminum heads

BigBlockOlds
07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Okay, so I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads that will be going on my 455 and was curious if anyone knows of a paint or powder coat that will hold up to the heat from an aluminum head? My engine is primarily all silver/aluminum/chrome but I was hoping there might be a way to coat the aluminum heads to keep them from staining from the inevitable dirt that will make its way into the engine bay.
After having an uncoated aluminum intake on my 455 I know how easily they start looking dirty.

Thanks for the help,

WS6
07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Andrew, I know your car from ROP.com. I must say it is awesome and I love it.

As for your question, does regular engine paint not work?

BigBlockOlds
07-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments!

I've used engine paint in the past on my iron heads and it just discolors and burns off. I was hoping there was something out there that would last a little longer.

Thanks,

slocobra
07-06-2007, 11:47 PM
I used a paint called real steel. It is supposed to have real stainless particles in it or something...

It gives a pretty nice finish and seems pretty tough. I used it on my edelbrock SBF heads because they were starting to look dingy.

I can try to get the company name off the can tomorrow

Johnny Blaze
07-07-2007, 04:26 AM
I'd check with Eastwood. POR 15 makes an engine paint worth checking into as well.

69protour
07-08-2007, 04:53 AM
Hey a buddy of mine had his heads "HPC coated", do a google seach, it's a ceramic coating and then tumbled to polish, They look awsome, no discoloration and helps with heat! Hope this helps.

Adam's 55 Chevy
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Use etch primer first then normal 2 pack paint. Prep well and use light coats. If done correctly it will not burn off. We have even used flake on engines with no burning.

jasonsnova
07-09-2007, 07:12 AM
epoxy primer with regular base clear automotive paint, ive done hundreds...never fail!

jski67
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
What if you just clear aluminum heads?

I want to protect them...while still being able to see that they're
aluminum heads:headbang:

Jason

67 455 Bird ragtop
07-13-2007, 04:07 AM
What if you just clear aluminum heads?

I want to protect them...while still being able to see that they're
aluminum heads:headbang:

Jason

A few folks I know used a clear anodizing process. They got it from an aircraft supply company I don't recall the name right off but I think it was something like Spruce. I'll do a check and post back.