PDA

View Full Version : question for people with DSE minitubs

ill steez
07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
currently my wheels are 18x10 with 5.75 inches backspacing. i'm about to minitub the car, and would like to widen my wheels as much as i can without replacing the lips and narrowing the rear end.

so my questions are:
how much wider do you think i can make the barrel of the wheel?

and

has anyone here done the minitub without narrowing their rear end? if so, what are your wheels specs?

thanks a lot for any help!

-Aris

MrQuick
07-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Aris,
It depends on the rim type and material used. Give James a call at www.weldcraftwheels.com he can advise you more than I.

I have adjusted back space to fit a 12" with a stock rear end housing. My backspace was 7 3/8".

All cars are different so you will have to measure your car. If you already have a rim that sits the way you like as far as distance from the outer quarter then you just add to the center. In your case an addition of 2" would put you close roughly...12" wide rim with a 7 3/4" back space.

What car are you working with?

ill steez
07-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the helpful response.

The wheels are on a 67' camaro, and I am indeed very happy with how they currently fit. Just want them to be wider now since I'll have more room. So adding 2 inches to the inside should be ok then? Would 2.5 be pushing it a bit too much?

MrQuick
07-04-2007, 09:49 AM
2.5in might be ok. I think you might be going to far into the frame and leaf springs. Link suspension is a different story.
But you are going to have to measure your car. Right now take a measurment from the axle/rotor mounting flange to 1" from the inner wheel well. See what you come up with.

Right now figure you have 18 x 10 with a 5 3/4" back space and it sits with an acceptible distance to the outer lip. Now add 2 1/2" and you have an 8 1/4" back space. Not too sure you will have that much room.

ill steez
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Yea, I definently need to measure itmyself, I just wanted some opinions from people who may have had experience. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to get on doing that.

Also, the car is going to get a quadralink in the process, so that should free up some more room for wheel as well.

And thank you Mr. Callahan for editing my title :D