PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

796spdbu
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Unfortunetly it is not that simple. All of the aftermarket R&P kits suffer from bumpsteer. If you can figure out a way to solve the bumpsteer issue you will be ahead of all the rest.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

So noone wants to reply.I took this as go and hunt for info your self.Ok,sorry im just computer savie as some on here and search forums are some times a pain to navigate(imo).I just read some posts from 06' and this is what i found.I read that bumpsteer can be fixed by lowering the hiem joint that connects to the steering arm.I used this kit on several fox body mustangs.Thanks for not replying,it made me more educated by having to look it up for my self.

6'9"Witha69
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
??x

BA.
07-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Vuja-vu The feeling that in the future you will have been here before.

796spdbu
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
6'9" and BA,
I couldnt get an answer to my question so i went looking for it in the search forums.What i found to be the biggest problem with rack and pinion set ups was with bump steer.I copied and pasted the info from brian who i think went by BA.I have installed the bump steer kits on lowered mustangs before to correct the bump steer problem with them.I figured the mustangs needed them because of the struts.I am learning every thing i can about engineering and suspension design.I am still green to what works and why.I had the chance to buy a steerroids kit for my 72' nova.I thought that i read on here that they had problems.I asked if any one could post there thoughts on the matter,in which I had no replys after a few days.I am running short on time before the goodguys show in columbus,ohio.I would like to drive the car up there.But if it is going to handle like crap then i dont want to install it.I just wanted some info.So i posted for no other reason than to tell you all i think i have my answer...so for the confusion

novanutcase
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Not to be an ass or anything but you might want to try reading Herb Adams "Chassis Engineering"! If you have already then I apologize!

John

MrQuick
07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
...try not to take it personally but some guys are tired of the fights that start with that type of question...there are many opinions and many failed attempts.

email me if you'd like to kick around ideas. I'd love to play around with a Nova rack system...that works

[email protected]

Kenova
07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
email me if you'd like to kick around ideas. I'd love to play around with a Nova rack system...that works

Hey. I'd be interested in hearing about a Nova rack that converts to front steer ....... and works.

Ken

6'9"Witha69
07-03-2007, 08:17 AM
6'9" and BA,
I couldnt get an answer to my question so i went looking for it in the search forums.What i found to be the biggest problem with rack and pinion set ups was with bump steer.I copied and pasted the info from brian who i think went by BA.I have installed the bump steer kits on lowered mustangs before to correct the bump steer problem with them.I figured the mustangs needed them because of the struts.I am learning every thing i can about engineering and suspension design.I am still green to what works and why.I had the chance to buy a steerroids kit for my 72' nova.I thought that i read on here that they had problems.I asked if any one could post there thoughts on the matter,in which I had no replys after a few days.I am running short on time before the goodguys show in columbus,ohio.I would like to drive the car up there.But if it is going to handle like crap then i dont want to install it.I just wanted some info.So i posted for no other reason than to tell you all i think i have my answer...so for the confusionThe biggest issue with aftermarket rack conversions is the pivot points in the rack itself. they are often either too far apart or close together relative to the LCA mounting/pivot points. another issue is the rack is often pushed back due to mounting/packaging issues, which would need a much longer steering arm to stay consistent, but would interfere with the wheel at that point (providing you run wider wheels to actually have grip). The Steeroids kit is considered to be one of the worst in these regards as it relates to bumpsteer. The unisteer kits are designed to have correct pivots and a steering arm which reduces bumpsteer.

If all you want to know is whether or not to mount the steeroids, DON'T DO IT!!

68fusion
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
would this help? moves innner points I think as much as 3"?

Appleton makes it....think they can make any size or any combo..

www.customclassicsandrestorations.com (http://www.customclassicsandrestorations.com)

Damn True
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Let's take a second to applaud the use of the search function.

Boulder69
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm clapping my hands and cheering at this very moment.

796spdbu
07-03-2007, 08:54 PM
First to novanut case,I do own the herbadams chassis book...read it a few times.
Second Mr.quick I know how it can be on here..I made the rookie mistake two years ago of asking about polybushings...doh!!!.And I will have to talk with you about a working rack system.
Third 6'9'' yeah i did read all the threads about mounting points and packaging.I didnt have time to type every thing I had found out so i just posted what I thought was the biggest addressable problem(bumpsteer)
fourth 68 ill look into appleton..thanks.
Damn true didnt you go by another name once....
boulder thanks for the appluad im still learning the ways of the search forum.
I was only looking in to installing the rack because i had a manuel box and thought for every day driving it would be more responsive...Wait before the bashing commences....I know every one has an opinion,i just based my thoughts on the rack off of my 95'z-28 camaro,which has a rack.I will look into my options...Thanks every one

Damn True
07-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Nope.

Only message board name I have ever used. Had it for about 6yrs.

796spdbu
07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Damn true,sorry about that.I must have been thinking of some one else..Thanks for the reply.