PDA

View Full Version : Nitto drag & roadrace tires

streetk14
12-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I am in need of new tires soon. I am interested in getting something sticky for the rear, since traction is an issue with my car. The car is not mini-tubbed yet, so a 275/40/17 is about all I can fit. I am looking at the nitto 555 line of tires. What I cannot decide is whether to get their drag radial (555R) or the autocross/roadrace tire (555RII). The only difference is that the autocross tire has a much stiffer sidewall, and it is stated that the ride will be much stiffer with them. This would mean that it will handle better than the drag tire, but won't bite as well off the line. These tires are going to be for the street, but I like to throw the car around, and handling/stability are important to me. For the price, I'd like to give them a shot. I'd like to know if anyone has used either of these tires, or has any suggestions for me. Thanks,
Andy

nancejd
12-27-2004, 08:04 PM
I have the Nitto drag radials, and I ran them for about a month on the street on my '96 Z28. It's hard to say how they really handled in comparison going back from a 275 40 17 to a 245 50 16 though. I thought they had decent street manners though, and the car would still go around an on ramp quicker than most vehicles.

protouring70
12-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Hey, I also ran the NITTO Drag Radials.The are a great tire. They handle great and hook pretty good. I will have to say, if there are lots of pebbles on your roads they will chip your lower quarters.
But they are really good tires!

:drive:

Brent

harshman
12-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Contact Johnny Hunkins (pm him) w/ Popular Hotrodding and pick his brain. He is sold out on them and if I remember right he is running road race up front and drag in back on his Camaro. I also remember that during his testing both types handled perfectly and you couldn't tell of any side wall flexing.

Nine Ball
12-28-2004, 05:23 PM
I have the road race 275s on my '69, and I've had several sets of their drag radials. If I could do it again, I'd put the drag radials on the '69. These road race tires don't hook as well at the drag strip or on the street.

streetk14
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I did assume that the drag tire would hook up better, but was concerned with it's handling ability (sidewall flex). It sounds like that isn't a problem. This is a street car that I drive hard, but not at the limit like on a track. I am mainly looking for more straight line traction, but don't want to sacrifice any cornering ability (compared to a regular radial).
nine ball, did you notice a difference in ride/handling between the 2 tires? It sounds like you have plenty of experience with these.
Brent, I used to run ET streets when the car was set up for drag. Unfortunatly, I know all about the little rock chip gremlins that come along with running sticky tires. I guess that's the price you pay for traction.

CarlC
12-28-2004, 10:16 PM
If you are not going out on a road coarse the drag radials may be your better bet. The RII's are shaved and work great at the track but are less comfortable on the street. The RII's will go 3-4 track days if you hammer them, more if you are carefull.

Sidewall height and stiffness makes a big difference in 1st gen cars, especially those with less than optimum spring and shock packages.

streetk14
12-28-2004, 11:32 PM
carl, I think you are probably right. I will give the drag radial a shot. If I am unhappy with them then I'll try the 555RII's. On the comfort note, my car already has a fairly harsh ride with my regular g-force TA's out back. I'm a little worried how the RII's will feel! Thanks again guys.
Andy

Nine Ball
12-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I haven't had drag radials on the '69 yet, so I can't comment on ride quality differences. My '69 rides like crap with its solid leaf bushings and no leaf spring pads. Its very rough and bounces a bit, but it handles well and launches well :D