PDA

View Full Version : Pwr Window Conversion 1st gen Camaro

69Myway
12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
:woot: Just finished my first rough install of the power window conversion in my 69 Camaro.

Now....before you read anymore, please know that I am CHEAP! Yes, I know there are a variety of "bolt in" kits...but what is the fun in that?

I have a complete 1996 Caprice cop car that I have been parting out. I yanked the power window regulator from it and have been rough fitting it in the camaro door.

I had to flatten out the inner buldges on the factory camaro door skin where the stock manual regulator mounts. The camaro horizontal sliders went right on the caprice regulator.

After a bit of adjusting and fitting, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can clean up the passenger install and do a first class install on the driver. Next, I will tackle the 1/4 glass windows. I am also moving the power door locks from the caprice.

It has come in handy so far. Bought it for $700. Sold the engine/trans from $1,100 with the computer. I have so far used the gas tank, fuel lines, and a dozen or so misc parts including the cool factory trunk release button. So....it is like getting paid to use these parts!

Drewhelm
12-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Cool! Can you give some more details as to what you had to do to get them to work? I've been contemplating a very similar swap. Thanks!

Drew

69Myway
12-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Cool! Can you give some more details as to what you had to do to get them to work? I've been contemplating a very similar swap. Thanks!

Drew
I am going to make a template from the passenger door to transfer easy to the driver and make that mod go faster.

Just got done fooling with the rear 1/4 glass. What a pain in the butt! I am really hoping I can get new rollers as I broke one.

I started modding the rear caprice motors for the camaro, then I remembered the aftermarket window kit I had on the shelf (for a two door). It is the kind that puts the gear ring around the crank shaft on the manual regulator. Well, believe it or not, it works like a champ. Plus the 1/4 windows don't go down that often.

So, it will have the heavy duty caprice motors in front and the light weight aftermarket in the 1/4 glass.

Next I have to see if I can order new rollers, and yank the wire harness from the caprice. I am also transfering the power door locks.

As far as directions to help you do the same, all I can say is get your regulators and feel it out. There is about only one spot they can go after you run it up and down a few times.