PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount speakers in 1st gen

rockdogz
12-27-2004, 02:20 PM
What are my options for mounting aftermarket speakers in a 1st gen? I want to put some JL Audio components in the front and rear, and am not sure what size to get. Choices are 4", 5.25", and 6.5" diameter rounds. 5x7s are available too, but not sure if those will be good in the stock location or not. Looks like there are some small access holes in the door and rear quarter for access to the windows, but not sure if there is enough depth.

Thanks,

CAMAROBOY69
12-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Go with the 6.5" if you can. You will get the optimum sound out of them. The 2nd option would be the 5.25".
For the front you can mount them in the doors(won't sound that great) or buy some kick panels. You could also make your own kick panels. I would try to avoid cutting the doors if you dont have to.
For the rear you have several options. They can be mounted under the rear window or put into each side of where the rear passengers sit. There are several other options but these are the quick easy ideas that have been used.

rockdogz
12-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Is there room in the front kick panels? I bought some repros since my originals weren't in very good shape, and with the vent there there is no room. Or do you just block off the vent and use that space for the speaker?

CAMAROBOY69
12-28-2004, 12:29 PM
If you dont need the vent then that is the route most people go is to seal that area off and have the speakers recess into there. If you still want the vent you can be creative to get around it.

gEtyOpAPiOn
12-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Hello i installed mine on the doors and back panel ...all alpine 6" rear and 5" front and it sounds great no problems even when people sits inside the car i also made me a box of 2 10" rockford subs and everything runs out of a 350 alpine amp ...it has a real nice sound to it the only downside was cutting some holes on my door panels :crying: but then again i cut holes everywhere hehe for other unrelated mods lol