PDA

View Full Version : 72 Camaro SS Vs. Soccermom in GMC Yukon

rich_fbodySS
06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Light turned green, started pulling into intersection, Yukon blows through red light at 40 mph. Hit the Camaro about 2 inches behind the driver's side headlight and pushed the whole frontend over to the right.
Fortunately, everything behind the firewall is ok, except the leading edge of the passenger-side door. My insurance will fix the car and bill her insurance afterwards.
-Rich-

BonzoHansen
06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
that sucks, you ok?

Let's guess, was she on the phone or drinking coffee? :hand:

brrymnvette
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Man that sucks. I love 2nd gens.

rich_fbodySS
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
I think she was on the phone. I was just recovering from a back injury that occured in January. Worse now.
Both rails bent in front of the crossmember. Floor still seems ok.

-Rich-

rich_fbodySS
06-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, here's about where it's at now. Hoping to get it to the body shop next week. Was looking forward to driving it this summer, but the suspension did need to be rebuilt anyway (still had original ball-joints)
I'll put the engine and trans back in after I get the car back.
I started to replace the heater core yesterday (might as well do it while the fender's off). After 2 hours with my head under the dash, everythings unbolted, but it looks like the console's in the way, so it'll have to come out tomorrow. Because of my back, I can only work a few hours at a time.

-Rich-

6'9"Witha69
06-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks like it will come back nicely. I hate fixing stuff because of someone else's stupidity.

4MuscleMachines
06-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Man, I am surprised at how many people hold their composure after somebody wrecks their PT car. I know I couldn't have, it's just too personal.

I wouldn't care about a late model car, you can just get another one, but not with our early muscle cars that we've built our own way.

BonzoHansen
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
If insurance is paying for it and you have a bad back, why are you disassembling it? You are not having a shop fix the body?

Edit: I hope that woman is haunted by camaros forever. Idiot.

dropit69
06-28-2007, 02:49 PM
wow that just sucks..howd the soccer mom look?..

rich_fbodySS
06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
If insurance is paying for it and you have a bad back, why are you disassembling it? You are not having a shop fix the body?

Insuance adjuster said he understood I couldn't just let it sit there looking like that and not pull it apart, so I ended up doing the whole subframe rebuild. Bodywork & Paint will be done at a professional shop, as soon as it's back on all four wheels.
Insurance money they gave me for subframe, parts & labor buys better parts if I handle labor myself, so I'm basically trading my time for upgraded parts.
As for the bad back, well I gotta work, and I'd rather be wrenching on one of my project cars than working for someone else, so I take it easy at work when I can and work on the car a couple hours after I get home... I try not to overdo it.

-Rich-

Ralph LoGrasso
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your car, Rich! Best of luck on the rebuild.

SHANE 73Z
06-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I hope you f*&$^% that Yukon up!

Shane

TPI Monte SS
06-28-2007, 07:56 PM
You're making good progress! Sorry to hear about your back, hope you get a nice settlement to make this whole ordeal worth your while. Best of luck on the rebuild, looks like it's going great so far!

70TWO NOVA
06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
At least it will be better than ever when youre done. i know how it feels, my little bro wrecked his nova not a month after the 3 year build and i had to fix it, bodywork,paint and everything.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif:crying:

70TWO NOVA
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
i fixed it though.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/05/005-1.jpg

curly
06-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Wow! That sucks..... cell phones in the wrong hands get people hurt and cars bashed like yours. Glad to see the rebuild is moving along. I am a f-body fan but first and second gens still are teh best looking IMO.

Best of luck with getting that back and the car back in shape!

mikey
06-30-2007, 11:32 PM
People on cell phones while driving SUVs:scared: me. I hope it turns out better thi time around.

shortrack
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
was she even sorry??........dont settle on the back injury.......20 yrs ago an 85 yr old man T boned my wife and today as a result of her back injury sustained in that crash she is in constant pain......she wishes she didnt settle so quick.

rich_fbodySS
07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Finally ready to get it to the body shop. It took me a lot longer than I anticipated to get it put together. Seemed like one thing after another, from an oddball lower control arm that nobody had a balljoint for, to a part that a vendor told me was "shipping today" three times over a three week period! Looking like by the time I get it back and put the engine/trans in, the summer will be over.

-Rich-

formula98
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Your making great progress. Keep the posts coming.

BA.
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Man, I am surprised at how many people hold their composure after somebody wrecks their PT car. I know I couldn't have, it's just too personal.

I wouldn't care about a late model car, you can just get another one, but not with our early muscle cars that we've built our own way.

Really sorry to hear about the damage Rich. It is good though, to hear that you are able to move around and even work on it a little yourself. Glad you are ok.

I'd have been tempted to yell out at her and say....

"YOU STAY IN YOUR FOKKING TRUCK!!!! DO NOT COME OUT HERE!!!!!!" :machine: :machine: :machine:

:)

....looks like a sweet car btw.

rich_fbodySS
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Well, now that it's getting together, I'm starting to consider a color change. I had just gotten used to the white w/ black stripes, but my friends are urging me to consider throwing a little more money at it in the way of a color change, so I'm considering it.
What do you guys think?
What other colors do you think look good on second gen camaros?
I'll be going to Famoso raceway this weekend for the Hot Rod Reunion, so I'll be looking for ideas.
Painter says I have a couple weeks before he needs a decision.
-Rich-

HILROD
10-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm working on a pale yellow 77 Z right now for a guy. Now is the time for a color change if that's what you want. Is there any colors you like? Is white your cars original color. Sometimes I find inspiration in weird places for colors.

Steve1968LS2
10-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Light turned green, started pulling into intersection, Yukon blows through red light at 40 mph. Hit the Camaro about 2 inches behind the driver's side headlight and pushed the whole frontend over to the right.
Fortunately, everything behind the firewall is ok, except the leading edge of the passenger-side door. My insurance will fix the car and bill her insurance afterwards.
-Rich-

Sorry to hear.. I can honestly say I know how you feel.

Just know that the car will get fixed and that the most important part is that you're ok.

The second most important part is that the guilty party had insurance. Find a shop that will fight to have your car fixed right.