PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gotten sponsership for their projects??

rob07002
12-27-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone on this board has been able to secure sponsors to help build their projects. I think I saw something about Kris Horton getting some for his Chevelle and would like to know of others and how you went about it....I'm thinking of starting a website that documents the build as well as other cars my friends own, and would like to see if this might be feasable to offset some expense.

Thanks

Zefhix
12-27-2004, 12:52 PM
A good person to consult about this for pointers is Steve C. ofTwist Machine (http://www.twistmachine.com). He posts here as streetfytr68. :)

Nine Ball
12-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I've had sponsors on just about every project I've built. Here are some hints that might help.

1. Sponsors want coverage. That is the key to sponsoring your ride. If they feel they can see some market coverage of their products by using your vehicle, you will more likely get sponsors. Sponsorship funds come from their marketing/advertising budget, so its typically their marketing, advertising, or sales manager that you have to convince. Possibly give them a targetted completion date (it better be within a year or they won't be interested). Also, put together a list of shows and events that you plan on attending. If your car is a race vehicle, give them a list of race events you plan on entering. The more events, the better. Be sure not to BS that list, and make one that you can actually follow through with. Coverage is KEY!

2. I can't stress the importance of a professional and organized web page on your project. I'm not talking about some freeware website or cardomain.com page either, it needs to be clean and have several nice photos on it. If you don't have a finished photo of the car visually, pay an artist to do a rendering. You need your plan set out visually so that you have a web page you can point those potential sponsors to so they can see what you are talking about. You have to "sell" your car to them. Having that web page is very important!

3. If you have previous projects under your belt, maybe add those into your webpage, or have seperate web pages with them displayed. Think of that as your reference list for building cars. If they can see your prior accomplishments, it might make it easier to trust your ideas/mission on this new one.

4. Make a list of potential sponsors, and contact them via email or by phone call. Typically you will ask for the advertising/marketing manager if you call. Be honest with them and inquire about what is necessary to do in order to get a sponsorship or deal from them. Having that webpage address comes in VERY handy on those phone calls. If they aren't the one that handles sponsorships, they can forward you to the right contact. I picked up about half of my sponsors via email, the other by calling them.

I would also encourage you guys to use these message boards to your advantage. Many sponsors read/lurk on these sites, and they keep an eye on members that participate often, have a good attitude, and interesting projects. These are the types of people that sponsors will want to help promote their products online and represent them. So, get busy posting :D

Tony

ProdigyCustoms
12-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Over the years I have had lots of sponsership, but I am finding it more diificult now with the advent of reality TV shows. Most eveyone I talked to , that I used before, or want to use, is involved in Overhaulin, Rides, bla, bla, and simple magazine, website and show coverage just isn't as appealing as TV. Not the same bang for the buck. Just listen to those shows and watch the credits. It is all Year One, Classic Industries, Original parts Group, Magna Flow, Whipple, etc.
You will be extremly hard pressed in today's enviroment, as just an average guy, a nobody in the industry individual (re: not Troy or Foose or better yet a celebrity), with no TV producer or magazine editor connections, to get anything sponsered worth having. And if you do find any sponsership, partial or full, you will probably end up being someones bitch for an inferior product they can't even give away.
I heard Kris name mentioned, Kris got some help, but Kris is a star. And is VERY connected, and that is the reward we get in this industry when we break out.
If you want parts, try to get that PHR job on the other thread. There is no better place to start then changing you surname to editor!

rob07002
12-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, especially Tony, Some really good ideas mentioned. As far as the job at PHR, I would love it but its a bad time to relo right now, I just bought a house here. I know it might be tough to do but certainly worth the effort IMO if successful. Did anyone write a proposal with demografics and projections, or was your experience more informal??? I am certainly not "connected" like Kris or anybody for that matter, however I do have the knowledge, personality, drive and business experience to pull this off. Anyone else who wishes to chime in would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys

ps I guess potential Sponsors would like it if I gave the car a cool name like most of the cars at SEMA.... any suggestions for the 69 CAMARO COVERTIBLE in my avatar??

rob07002
12-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Oh yeah, can anyone suggest the name of a good web designer, and how much it cost for some of your sites??

ProdigyCustoms
12-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Grandpa told when I was young......

"If you do not ask for it, you probably won't get it. Weather it be for a piece of ..., or a discount on a new car"

I guess we can add car parts to that also, LOL! Good luck.

Steve1968LS2
12-28-2004, 08:37 AM
I have a few..

Some just want to give you a discount.. some give you free stuff..

Some want you to sign contracts and actually sticker your car (no.. no.. no.. i say)

My Best Sponsor was Wilwood Brakes.. all my Brakes (front 6 piston, back 4 piston) were FREE!! :D

Like Tony said.. you have to show them whats in it for them.. what kind of exposer and how you will work to promote thier products.

It also helps to have past project sucess to show them.. a track record.

The main thing is don't be afraid to ask.. :)

rob07002
12-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Steve, what kind of contract, what did they want you to do?.....

Ralph LoGrasso
12-28-2004, 05:35 PM
It's all about exposure like Tony and Frank said. The bottom line is they want to sell as many of their products as possible, and if giving you X dollars worth of parts for your car, causes them to sell 20 of that same product, it's appealing to them.

As for a good web designer, I used Christopher Walden of Ashcan Productions. I'm very happy with my site. www.ashcan.net

Zefhix
12-28-2004, 06:28 PM
You know, you could also do your homework and be aware of up and coming companies with promise and talent. Offer to help them by using their product in return for a discount since most of the smaller companies can't afford to comp you product. Big sponsors will attract a big fat "so what?" from most people looking at the car but if you have some really awesome no-name incredible products on your car, people are going to remember and that's good for everyone. I've told a few people some of the "help" I'm getting (and from who) and they say "who's that?" and I tell them to look them up. It couldn't be better for all parties involved.... definitely good luck to you! :cool:

Pro-touring towncar
12-28-2004, 08:00 PM
I accaully had FocusSport as a partial sponsor on my 02 Focus wagon. But may it RIP. I was totaled over a year ago. I have to apply for it again. I am thinking of ideas for sponsors for the towncar, Anyone want too.

Tim

shmoov69
12-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Another piece of advice.....Don't just ask for freebee stuff and gimmie's. Ask if there is some sort of discounted price or anything like that. If you pay something, it is much better if something does not turn out right before the car gets done and your timeline has grown greatly. Saves lots of pie on your face! And pretty much what Tony said too!

Matt
12-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, can anyone suggest the name of a good web designer, and how much it cost for some of your sites??

Me :)

Drop me an e-mail and we'll talk about what you want, and what not. I'm still working on planning my own out, but that's taken a backstage to doing work. Cobblers children have no shoes ya know.

Here is my old one, that I'm going to redo from the ground up, I haven't even touched it for a while:
http://www.mgassner.com/camaro/

Some quick sites I've done to check out.
http://www.riograndebdm.com
http://www.hidefweb.com/trombinos/website/ (in development still)
http://www.crestlineplastics.com/
http://www.armandosdelrio.com/

[email protected]

/self advertisement.