PDA

View Full Version : 72 GMC frame off restomod

Ackattack
06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, its been awhile since I've been on here. I was wanting to do a 68 Camaro, but have decided to hold off on that and make the truck that I already have what I've always wanted it to be. Plus gain what I'm sure will be valuable experience that I can apply to the Camaro in the future.

So here's what I'm starting with
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/06/Truck-1.jpg

It's a 72 GMC pickup, long bed 2 wheel drive. Its got leaf springs in the back and drop spindles in the front. 17" TTII, a TPI 350/700R4, autometer ultralight gages, 3.73 12 bolt with an Eaton LSD. Obviously its in fairly nice shape as I've gone through it once. I've owned it for 10+ years. It was painted back in 99 and is showing its age, though it still looks nice.

So the plans for it.
The biggest is make it a shortbed and convert to trailing arm suspension (aka truckarms....this is where the term "truckarms" came from)

So I bought this:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/06/100_1052-1.jpg

This is a 68 chevy short bed with trailing arms.

I'm going to be using only the frame, parts of the rear suspension, and parts of the bed.

I'm going to be starting on stripping down the 68 to the frame on Sat. Hope to get it all taken apart in 1 day (no engine or tranny to mess with)

The basic plans are:
-Gen III engine pushing 400RWHP (probably either a 5.3 or 6.0 truck engine cause the 5.7L are catching to much dough)
-matching 4L60E
-airbags all around
-rear disk brakes (either LT1 camaro/caprice brakes or 99+ Jeep grand cherokee)
-bigger front brakes....haven't looked into options yet
-rear swaybar (from 4th gen f-body)
-Look into front suspension options. I don't know yet how the camber curve is, if there are modifcations that can be done (similar to goldstrnd mod). Most of the aftermarket parts for these are just geared at lowering them....not performance.....got more research here.
-Might look into a hydroboost set up
-wider wheels and tires. I don't know if I'll go up in diameter.. I was thinking 275/40/17F and 315/35/17R...but can't say for sure.
-probably will change rearends. The 68 came with a 4.10 posi rearend that is already set up for the trailing arms.
-air conditioning
-in dash navigation system or car computer setup. TBD
-relocate gas tank to back of bed
-relocate battery back....maybe under the bed on the frame rail...or just in the bed.
-then of course all of the standard restoration stuff.

I'm excited about getting started!

mdprovee
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Sounds like a fun project.

Mark Smith
06-29-2007, 03:54 AM
nice truck to start with.I have a 70 short bed fleetside I have been driving for 15 years.same color as yours.its been a good truck.you wont be dissatisfied with the truck arm suspension.rides very good.mine is a cst 10 with 350 I got from a 89 vette and a turbo 400 trans.good luck with the project.