PDA

View Full Version : slop in the steering

r33gtr
06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
i have about a little less than a quarter turn of slop in my steering on my 69 manual steering camaro. Is this normal? Does the steering box need to be rebuilt? is there anything easy that i can do to at least help get it a little tighter?

dhardison
06-27-2007, 06:34 PM
i have about a little less than a quarter turn of slop in my steering on my 69 manual steering camaro. Is this normal? Does the steering box need to be rebuilt? is there anything easy that i can do to at least help get it a little tighter?Even brand new manual steering boxes I've purchased have had that play (5-10 degrees on both sides of center). It feels like play, but at least on mine it does actually move the pitman arm, just not very far. It makes driving on the highway nice because just a slight movement of the wheel moves the car one way or the other, but feels like slop when doing any 'performance driving' in the twisties. I've been told that this play is inherint in 'variable rate' manual boxes. :dunno:

red67camaro
06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Before you worry about the steering gear, be sure there isn't some play in the rest of the steering linkage or suspension.

Look under the car while a helper wiggles the steering wheel back and forth firmly (kids are great for this) and any play is usually pretty evident. Sometimes you will see some play in unexpected places such as steering gear to frame mounting, frame flex, etc.

The steering gear can also be adjusted, but adjusting it too tight will cause it to be sticky.

cheapthrillz
07-01-2007, 10:13 AM
We had this same problem in my dads car.... Its not the pitman arm or steering box that gets worn out. Do as above and watch the steering linkage points. The connection points get worn out and the circular holes turn into ovals. We bought a Moog stock steering rebuild kit and it fixed all of that. I think we got it from National Parts Depot for like 200 bucks or so.... Good Luck!

JC

David Pozzi
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
i have about a little less than a quarter turn of slop in my steering on my 69 manual steering camaro. Is this normal? Does the steering box need to be rebuilt? is there anything easy that i can do to at least help get it a little tighter?

Try taking up the lash in the box.

Back off the adjuster nut on top of the box, with wheels pointed straight ahead, turn down (clockwise) the allen bolt until resistance is felt. Turn it about as tight as a medium screw, just grab the allen wrench with thumb and forefinger and twist it good, don't grab it with your whole hand.

Tighten the jamb nut and test drive it. If steering feels "sticky" it's too tight. There is a tight spot on-center so that is where you may feel anything.
David