PDA

View Full Version : Subframe mount repair

HotRod68Camaro
06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
I bought the subframe mount repair kit that Goodmark makes. I was thinking it would be best to just weld the plate on the bottom of the tabs and grind out the holes to correctly match it. The mounting holes on my subframe are not original, they were a repair done by the previous owner of the subframe. I do believe the locating holes are original though.
In the pictures they are actually located properly, just the angle of the picture makes it look like the locating holes are not centered. I am looking for suggestions on how i should do this.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

JcGc
06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
I have the same plates as you, but mine were welded on top of the old mounts. Not sure if it's right to do it this way, but I'm sure it will work.

barno68
06-25-2007, 05:40 AM
If you weld it one top the mounting height will be different that the other body mounts. It is not a huge difference, but could create some alignment issues. I made my own and welded it to the underside of the mount. It looks like yours just needs to be trimed on the side and it should fit fine. If it is a little off you can drill the holes again once installed.

Brent

6'9"Witha69
06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Cut out the area and weld in the new piece. Anything else will play hell with any bushings you use.

If you do not cut and replace, do it on the bottom, the top is definitely not the place to do it especially if you ever want to go solid mounts!

JcGc
06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
My body bushings fit fine with the plates welded on top. All the mounts were done this way from the core support area to the rear of the sub frame.

6'9"Witha69
06-25-2007, 02:46 PM
If they are all the same then it will be OK. If it is only 1 or 5 of the 6 then it can be a problem.

Duesey2
07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I have a 69' subframe that I was gonna weld up the holes smaller to repair the rust. Does anyone know the exact diameter the holes should be? Any measurements would be appreciated.