PDA

View Full Version : Dual Odyssey Battery Wiring

jeffandre
12-26-2004, 03:38 AM
A year or so ago I discussed the possibility of setting up dual Optima or Odyssey batteries pretty much underneath the rear passenger floor boards (1 on each side). The Odyssey's are 3.11" thick and can be mounted on the side, so packaging will be fun and relatively easy. I plan to weld up a few boxes with lids, then weld the boxes to the holes I cut in the floor. The bottom of the box will be about 1/4" higher than the subframe connector low points. Since I have way more time than money and there is not really a convenient space in the trunk anymore (also would prefer to move the weight downward and more centered between the axles) the extra work entailed is no big deal, I will actually enjoy the heck out of it.

My main question at this time is where should I look to find the wire ends, like crimp on or compression fit? I am running very flexible/bendable 00 (double-ott) wire for the positive side, and if I have enough left over I may use it for the ground too. I will be running 2 12v batteries in parallel to ensure that I have enough power. The Odyssey PC680 is what I am referring to (mainly used as motorcycle batteries, which use only 1). My research seems to support the fact that these batteries will work as planned, so if anyone has any other experiences with this kind of wiring please chime in.

Jeff