PDA

View Full Version : Billet Cowl Induction Trim Plates

Steve Chryssos
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
I posted this in the open section, but I see Larry has started a new products topic so here goes:

ProStyle Billet Cowl Induction Trim Plate from Twist Machine.
If you run a cowl induction hood without the factory flapper door, Twist offers a great way to finish off the opening. The trim plate fits factory and OE style hoods using the original mounting holes. Installation does not require hood removal. Price is $55 which includes stainless steel button head hardware.

To order, or for more information, contact Twist Machine, LLC at:
631-610-4186
www.twistmachine.com

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Samckitt
06-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Any idea if these will fit the Goodmark after market Monte Carlo cowl hoods?

killer69
06-21-2007, 03:24 PM
looks gOOd just add some mesh and your done.

rickk
06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
got mine.:bananna2:
rickk

barno68
06-22-2007, 06:02 AM
I second the Goodmark application question!

parsonsj
06-22-2007, 06:20 AM
How about Harwood? Just wondering ... :)

jp

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll post up some measurements for the non-OE guys--including the bolt pattern. We won't be doing mesh, since it doesn't offer any protection rain or snow or sand. Unless you're worried about varmints or critters or something, that mesh is just in the way.

barno68
06-22-2007, 08:28 AM
It is the birds I worry about! I assume this piece just bolts on the the existing cowl, so on a Goodmark 9if measurements are the same, the existing mesh could be left in. I guess what I am saying is that this piece looks to be more bling then function :naughty:

Brent

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Correct. It is a trim plate. But it is our contention that large openings permit better airflow than mesh. The original design is a flapper door-no mesh. And I 've seen numerous occasions where the wrong air cleaner assembly and mesh hood scoops has had a negative impact on carburetor tuning--especially at idle and part throttle. Swap an air cleaner, pop the hood or remove a mesh laden "dead dolphin" scoop and mysterious idle problems subside. Imagine moving all of the mesh's horizontal and vertical (or diagonal) wire elements together and they add up to a substantial percentage of the opening. Here is a great source for mesh. http://www.mcmaster.com Search "wire mesh screens" Percentage openings are listed. It's a prety cool webpage. You will see that the minimum blockage is 20-25%. So, in many respects the mesh is the bling that counters function.

You are certainly welcome to sandwich mesh between our trim plate and the hood flange, but after careful consideration, we made a decision to omit mesh and leave the decision up to the end user. I'm not trying to be snippy--I just want to be clear that we did or homework.

barno68
06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
No offense taken. The Goodmark hood I have has a heavy gauge mesh welded on the inside of the opening, could be removed, but would be a bit of a pain. My complaint about the design is that the window washer nozzles have to be mounted inside of this mesh and are a wench to get at.

I guess if you are talking about a stock cowl application the mesh restriction arguement makes sense. But I would be surprised if an aftermarket cowl hood did not flow more air then a stock non-cowl hood. For what it is worth, I think you have taken the right route as it is easy to add mesh if you want it, leave it up to the customer. All in all, very nice product.

Brent

zbugger
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I just want to see what it looks like from inside the car when the hood is closed.

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2007, 10:29 AM
....I guess if you are talking about a stock cowl application the mesh restriction arguement makes sense. But I would be surprised if an aftermarket cowl hood did not flow more air then a stock non-cowl hood. For what it is worth, I think you have taken the right route as it is easy to add mesh if you want it, leave it up to the customer. All in all, very nice product.

Brent

Thanks. Yeah the factory design is built around that old flapper door. The shape is small and irregular. Some of the aftermarket stuff is probably better. Flangeless (wide open) hoods are best at getting air in at speed and letting heat out at idle. Mesh was a given at first. We barely gave it a second thought until we reviewed that McMaster Carr page. The stuff that only blocks 20-something percent looks like chicken wire, so that was out of the question. We are always surprised by the twists (sorry for the pun) and turns that the product development process takes--even for simple parts such as this. It's one thing to make a custom part, but making a bunch of the same part that goes in a box and gets shipped out to a wide cross section of people is a whole other ball of wax.

I'll post a print as soon as possible for you guys that want to try and retrofit the design to aftermarket hoods. Rick Kirkendall has offered to test fit the plate on a 2nd gen Goodmark hood.

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I just want to see what it looks like from inside the car when the hood is closed.

It's a tough picture 'cause of the windshield. I will try again on the white convertible when it gets back next week.

LS6 Tommy
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Any idea if these will fit the Goodmark after market Monte Carlo cowl hoods?

Nope. At least not without mods & fabrication. The Goodmark hood has a flat screened inlet, no provisions for the stock Chevelle style flapper.

Tommy

Steve Chryssos
06-30-2007, 06:48 AM
We ended up making the backside completely flat to facilitate adaptation. A customer has agreed to try one out on a 2nd gen goodmark hood. At the very least, I expect to see some drilling involved. Shouldn't be rocket science if the ourter dimensions are right. It's a moving target, though. So we will proceed cautiously on the non-first gen stuff.

Chad-1stGen
06-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Hmm shots of it on the car from the inside would be cool. I have a cowl hood of unkown origin that appears to have bolt holes in same spots and would be nice to put a finishing touch on it.

Steve Chryssos
06-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Will do. Just mounted one to the white convertible which makes it easier to shoot through the windshied without getting glare. I'll take a piture of that. Looks hot!!

Jims78elky
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Thats simply a gorgeous piece of billet right there!

:worship:

-Jim

streetk14
06-30-2007, 10:20 PM
This is something that I need. Steve, glad to see you are coming up with new products for our cars.

Andy

Steve Chryssos
07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys. That's just the sort of encouragement that I need considering that I'm at the shop on a Sunday at 6PM brushing metal. Shipping starts tomorrow!!!!:seizure: Time to go home.

Steve Chryssos
07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Okay, one more wave of photos.
http://web.mac.com/streetfytr/iWeb/TwistMachineLLC/trimplatesfinished.html

Ralph LoGrasso
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Okay, one more wave of photos.
http://web.mac.com/streetfytr/iWeb/TwistMachineLLC/trimplatesfinished.html

That's the money shot right there. Looks GREAT!

69Nova
07-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm guessing mine is in that stack :bananna2:

Steve Chryssos
07-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Nope, your part has been put aside for black anodizing--which will delay shipment about one week. Lemme know if you want brushed aluminum finish instead. The part on the pace car has not been brushed yet.

69Nova
07-02-2007, 03:45 AM
No hurry. I gotta have black.

mincharlie
07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
VERY NICE! Thanks Steve ordered mine today! Just what I was looking for.

Steve Chryssos
07-04-2007, 04:30 AM
Thank you for your business. BE sure to let us know how you like the part.

gt1guy
07-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Steve,
Let us know how the test fit on the second gen goes, please.

Kevin

Steve Chryssos
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Will do. Thanks
/Steve

69Nova
07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Any word on mine?????

Steve Chryssos
07-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Not yet. I am officially yelling at my anodizer. In the meantime we should get together and take some measurements. The scoop on a Goodmark second gen hood was about 2" wider than stock.

Mr.VENGEANCE
07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
i love mine.. still havent tried it on yet but it looks SOOOO flavorful.. hahaha

Brian-Blade
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
OSHA just called & said your operator better put some safety glasses on !!!

Just kidding in tool & die work & just had to throw that in !

Steve Chryssos
07-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Frank's as blind as a bat anyway. We're having his arms lengthened so that he can read. He's reached that age when he holds every piece of paper outstretched. :hah:

69Nova
07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Not yet. I am officially yelling at my anodizer. In the meantime we should get together and take some measurements. The scoop on a Goodmark second gen hood was about 2" wider than stock.

Gotcha.

68 SuperRam
08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Steve ever consider going one step further - and trying to market a product like this - but would include the ability to incorporate gauges? As I am running injection - so the hole on my cowl hood is just a big open area for critters. Would be nice to have an option to have additional gauges - mounted there. I have see in done on other cars - just a thought. Curious to know your thoughts.

Steve Chryssos
08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
It's a very good idea. We would seal off the opening altogether. Provide room for 3 gauges offset to the left with room for engraving on the right. There might not be adequate depth for the gauges though. I'll look into it. Email or PM me all of your contact info. If we succeed, then your panel would be free for coming forth with the idea.

Steve Chryssos
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Gotcha.

Andrew,
I'll make it up to you. :banghead:

Steve Chryssos
08-06-2007, 03:22 PM
There might not be adequate depth for the gauges though. I'll look into it.......

Well I told ya I'd look into it. Visibility would be greatly blocked by the wiper arm and the shrouding of the hood scoop itself. I don't think it can work if it ain't functional.

68 SuperRam
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Too bad - thoought that it would be a good product - might still be able to use if people do not use wiper arms - as I am sure some people do not drive in the rain - or even hook up the wiper motor - use a block off plate. Would have also been good for using mech gauges and save some $$ on the electrical ones, as they would be mounted under the hood.

Was worth the comment - almost made production....

Steve Chryssos
08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
The idea isn't quite dead. Hurdles are part of the design process. I'm taking it underground to play with it, away from the public eye. :secret:

paul67
08-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Would you export to the UK ?

nitrorocket
08-08-2007, 02:57 AM
STREETFYTR68, You realize that someday you car will have SOOO much billet aluminum bolt ons, that you will have to increase your spring rates just to support all the extra weight.:)

Steve Chryssos
08-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Would you export to the UK ?

Paul,
Sure we can. We ship overseas regularly. Call or email.
/Steve

Steve Chryssos
08-08-2007, 05:33 AM
STREETFYTR68, You realize that someday you car will have SOOO much billet aluminum bolt ons, that you will have to increase your spring rates just to support all the extra weight.:)

...And more power, too.

Mark68
09-18-2007, 03:34 AM
That's one nice piece. I can't wait to get mine installed!